April 26, 2024, 09:10:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Randomness Issue  (Read 1453 times)

OnHoliday

Randomness Issue
« on: October 12, 2017, 08:19:03 am »
Whenever I try to add some randomness to one of the melodic sequencers it only adds whatever the root note of scale is in the 3rd octave. For example, if I'm in C major and I turn the randomness and probability to anything other than zero it will ONLY add random C3 notes or change the previously programmed notes to C3. If I up the randomness and probability each to 100 it will literally just spit out nothing but C3 notes. It does this over midi and cv, with multiple oscillators and synths.  I've tried this on many different sequences, including sequences that aren't even in the 3rd octave and don't contain the root note whatsoever and I get the same result.

I did a hard reset last night and updated to the latest firmware and I'm still having the same issue.

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
Re: Randomness Issue
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 10:22:08 am »
Hi OnHoliday,
Randomness and Probability will take pitches from your sequence to trig notes randomly. This is meant to have a random sequence sounding in the good scale. If your sequence is composed of A3, D3, G3 notes, you will only hear A3, D3 and G3 notes in random mode. At the moment (current firmware), the drawback is: it will take pitches even from steps that are off (but only those before the last step). As default step value is C3, it will also trig C3 notes, even if there is no C3 note when your sequence is playing without randomness. If you transpose your sequence to D, it will trig D3 notes instead of C3. That is why you have notes from 3rd octave, whatever the transpose is.
If your sequence is C3, E3, G3, you will hear those notes, but with more C3 than E3 and G3 if there are steps that are not activated before the last step. A workaround would be to change the pitches of steps that are off also, in order to balance the randomness (eg: add more G3 and E3 on steps that are deactivated).

Hope this help,
Y.

OnHoliday

Re: Randomness Issue
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 05:38:03 pm »
THANK YOU. That makes so much more sense. I had no idea it was taking into account the notes which weren't selected and most of my sequences have a fair amount of rests with notes I haven't bothered changing.

Really appreciate the explanation - I couldn't find anything when I tried looking!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines