March 29, 2024, 02:31:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Modular V3 & Ableeton Live 9 (64bit)  (Read 4151 times)

fred35190

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Modular V3 & Ableeton Live 9 (64bit)
« on: October 07, 2017, 12:44:21 am »
Good day,

I use Ableton live 9 and I want to use the Modular V3 in this DAW.

I installed the Modular V3 and then put the .dll file in the Library of Ableton where are my other VSTs. But the Modular V doesn't appear in the selection.

Can someone help me?

Thank you.

LBH

Re: Modular V3 & Ableeton Live 9 (64bit)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 05:27:52 pm »
Good day,

I use Ableton live 9 and I want to use the Modular V3 in this DAW.

I installed the Modular V3 and then put the .dll file in the Library of Ableton where are my other VSTs. But the Modular V doesn't appear in the selection.

Can someone help me?

Thank you.

Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

I don't use Ableton, but have some thoughts.

Do you have other third party plug-ins at the same location, that you can use in Ableton Live?

I don't understand why you have to manually put (copy) plug-ins to a library. Why don't you install your plug-ins directly to the folders you use,  setting the path when you run the installation? This will also make updating much easier.
I don't even know how Arturis plug-ins react when being copied to another location. Perhaps they don't like it. What happens if you install directly to the folder you use for third party plug-ins?

What Ableton library folder are you talking about? If it's a folder Ableton use for it's own plug-ins, then i would say you should use another "normal" folder for you third party plug-ins like Arturias. And then create a path to this folder from Ableton Live to read it for plug-ins.

Are you aware that Arturias plug-ins come as both VST2 and VST3 versions? Your DAW perhaps need to be told what plug-in to read. VST3s are installed in a fixed location. So Ableton live will also need to point at this location to read VST3 plug-ins, if you wan't to use them. Perhaps you can only use one version at a time, so you need to choose to use either VST2 or VST3 version.

Also be sure you are using Arturias 64 bit plug-ins.

Just some things i think can be worth to consider. Perhaps it helps.

EDIT:
I was wondering about the library folder you mention and found that it's not meant to be used for VSTs and found this article:
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/209071729-Recommendations-for-using-VST-plug-ins-on-Windows
As you can see from this, then the library folder is not meant to be used for VSTs. The article recommend locations for VSTs when using Ableton Live.
Also it say this: "Always install VSTs directly to the correct destination folder, rather than manually moving the DLL file afterwards."
I suggest you read the article i link to.
(Also perhaps Ableton live might not support VST3 yet. Not sure.)
EDIT END
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 07:35:14 pm by LBH »

fred35190

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 12:26:02 am »
Thank you very much for your help.

Yes, it seems that Ableton doesn't support VST3 yet because I installed Modular V2 (V2 demo also in the download documents of the V3) and it appears in the VST selection folder. Too bad, because I have purchase the V3 and not the V2.

I hope that there will be an update of Ableton soon that can support VST3 because in this situation the standalone version of the Modular V3 is little bit useless for me except if I want to play just for fun which is not the case because the main purpose is to record projects in a DAW.

Maybe sorme persons on the forum have some informations about the next update of Ableton regarding this VST3.

The thing I don't understand is that you can find video like this on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttX9lj2ZrYw
In this one, you can see that the last arturia V collection can be use on Ableton. A situation difficult to understand for me because I have the very last version of Ableton.

Thank you again.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 12:39:30 am »
Your welcome,

You misunderstand.
The V3 in Modular do not refere to VST version. You have Modular V3 both as VST2 and VST3. When you install Modular V3 and READ during the install process as you should do, then you for example are able to set the instalation path for the VST2 version.

But install Modular V3 in a folder that Ableton actually read. Library folder is not the correct folder. Please read my posts again to understand, and also read the Ableton help article i provided a link to in my previous post. That should help you to understand.

You can use the Arturia product you have in Ableton live.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 12:43:49 am by LBH »

LBH

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 01:55:49 pm »
I use a folder by own choice for my plug-ins. But actually it look like the paths recommended by Ableton in the article is the paths Arturia have as default installation paths.
So if you have the default installation (I recommend you check it),  then it should only be a matter of how you access your third party VSTs in Ableton Live. You know how to do that? Otherwise reading this article under the paragraf "Third-Party" might help: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001182090-Live-9-Playing-Software-Instruments

I still recommend you read the first article i provided a link for too.

Also you might find help in Ableton forum on how to use Live.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 01:59:05 pm by LBH »

fred35190

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 09:56:42 pm »
Thank you very much again for you help.

I tried to reinstall the modular V3 to put the VST directly in the user Library of Ableton (one of the advice written in the link you sent).

But now I have this message: MoveFile failed Code 183 and the installation of the MV3 goes wrong

I'll try to fix this problem.

In addition, after the uninstallation of the Modular V3 there are some files left with that application Inside: unins000. I can't delete this file even as administrator. Maybe the Code 183 is related to that, I don't know.

LBH

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 11:33:02 pm »
Thank you very much again for you help.
Your welcome. But did'nt exspect this work.

I tried to reinstall the modular V3 to put the VST directly in the user Library of Ableton (one of the advice written in the link you sent).
What do you mean by "user Library"? Where excactly do you find that advice? What paths excactly is that - they are written in the article for vstPlugin folders.

But now I have this message: MoveFile failed Code 183 and the installation of the MV3 goes wrong

I'll try to fix this problem.

In addition, after the uninstallation of the Modular V3 there are some files left with that application Inside: unins000. I can't delete this file even as administrator. Maybe the Code 183 is related to that, I don't know.
How do you try to fix the problem?

Are you logged on Windows using a Administrator account? What excactly do you mean by "even as administrator"?
What Windows version do you use?

How  excactly have you uninstalled Modular V3? (And what about the .dll file you had moved from the instalation path?)

Have you shut down and opened your PC after the uninstall?

I think the message: MoveFile failed Code 183 is about  a file is not uninstalled. But i'm not sure.
Malware can't be ruled out, but for now i don't  think it's about that.

I think your issues mostly can be because you need more knowleadge about using a PC and about the software you try to use. So it's much about learning.

The unins000 exe program file is a normal Arturia file. It can be about that file should have been uninstalled but are'nt. So again - how excactly  have you uninstalled Modular V3?

Precise informations is vital.
Let's start with this.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 11:36:18 pm by LBH »

fred35190

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 11:27:07 pm »
Ok, I'll try to know more about the software Ableton.

It's strange because there was no problem with my other VSTs.

I've uninstalled the MV3 by using the classical way I guess, it means use the main uninstall application in the folder of MV3.

The advice about the DLL is this one (help.ableton link you sent): "Always install VSTs directly to the correct destination folder, rather than manually moving the DLL file afterwards". Move mannually the DLL to the correct folder is what I've done during the previous installation, so now I've to install the DLL directly to the correct folder. For me, the correct destination is the "user library" of Ableton where all the other DLL of my VSTs are.

I tred to delete the previous MV3 files not log on Windows using an Administrator account but by trying to change the security properties of the file. I think it's not the correct way because impossible to completely delete the file. I'm using Windows 10.

LBH

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 12:10:06 am »
Uninstall and delete is two different things. If you only delete a file it's not uninstalled.

To uninstall you can run a uninstaller like the unins000 program you mention you can't delete. Have you used that? (And what about the .dll you had moved to the User Library?)
But on Windows 10 you can also uninstall thru the Settings app or thru Windows control panel. Sometimes i've heard of issues using the Settings app, so i personally still use Windows control panel.

This is for finding the uninstall in Settings: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028003/windows-uninstall-apps-and-programs-in-windows-10
This is for finding the uninstall in WIndows control panel: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028054/windows-repair-or-remove-programs-in-windows-10

The Ableton help article https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/209071729-Recommendations-for-using-VST-plug-ins-on-Windows recommend this paths for third party plug-ins:
64 bit plugins: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Vstplugins\
32 bit plugins (on 64 bit systems): C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\Vstplugins\
Nothing about User Library in that article.

Just in case: This Ableton help article can perhaps also be of usage to make Ableton read a path for a VST folder: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/209071729-Recommendations-for-using-VST-plug-ins-on-Windows#“custom”

On what path are the third party plug-ins you say you can use? I agree that if your other third party VSTs work from that location, then you should be able to use that location.
Are you sure it's not a folder that can be deleted when Ableton update? If so things should be working from that folder. But what's the full path to that folder?

Are you still getting error messages?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 12:13:18 am by LBH »

fred35190

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 11:47:26 pm »
Good day LBH,

I don't have any access to my MAO computer until friday evening. I'll try again all your advices and keep you inform quickly.

fred35190

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 12:19:44 pm »
Good morning LBH,

Now it works but because I've just done the activation of the software. It seems that it was not activate.

Thank you very much again for your help and see you soon on the forum, I hope for more pleasant subjects.

LBH

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 01:45:07 pm »
Hi fred35190,

Glad if it work.
Thanks for reporting back.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines