March 28, 2024, 11:41:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: sequence arbitrary midi CCs  (Read 4244 times)

ewanuno@gmail.com

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
sequence arbitrary midi CCs
« on: October 01, 2017, 04:08:45 pm »
i would be great to have a way of controlling midi CCs using the step sequencer. i was suprised this isn't already possibile, i expected it to be in the manual somewhere but didn't find anything.

i see "Shift + Knobs" isn't taken yet ;)

syrupcore

Re: sequence arbitrary midi CCs
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 09:57:31 pm »
Think this would require quite a lot of overhead on the CPU and available project storage if it were to act like most people expect, gliding between values. Having it work like P-locks on an Elektron device might work though. Then you're only talking about (up to) 64 values, presuming it's limited to one CC per sequence. If the CPU could handle it, it might be possible for it to interpolate between steps to generate smoothish value streams.

Workflow wise, how would you set the CC number? Preset in MCC? And how would you edit the CC sequence itself?

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 05:20:32 am »
In a way, CC sequencing is already available, depending on the way your synth can use velocity.  Most deep programming synths allow velocity to be remapped to most parameters and it's uncommon to not have velocity directly patched to filter freq as a standard modulation parameter even on basic synths lately.

Using velocity as a mod source can answer syrupcore's questions, just if it's done this way, you get either velocity or you get CC sequencing and never the 'twain shall meet!  Not all synth respond to velocity, the MiniBrute for example, so it'd be nice to be able to send it a ModWh sequence instead.

The way it could be implemented is only through MCC really.  The CC that is sent is set in Global settings to Expression, Vel, AT, Breath, ModWh, PBend, Foot or one of the 120 CC's.  When not set to ModWh or PBend, the value is between 0 and 127.  PBend is +/-127 and ModWh 0-255 but can be set to 0-127 for low res.

Although I've replied with a way to possibly achieve the request, I'd like to say, it's not a good thing to try being everything to everyone.....
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

syrupcore

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 07:36:31 am »
@megamarkd that makes sense. It would work per step, not glissando style. The ability to change it per sequence/project would be handy but probably more trouble than it's worth considering, as you said, most synths will allow you to map velocity to anything. If it were in addition to velocity, that'd be fun. Come to think of it, it could be accessed via SHIFT+Velocity. The light would blink or something to tell you you're in CC mode. Of course, presuming there's actually storage for something like this!

BeatStep Pro MKII: assignable CC LFO per track. :D

deemadden

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 09:46:49 pm »
I think the last couple posts here are close to the way I envisioned this working.  All I want is to be able to map gate or velocity data to a particular CC.  That's it.  Just let me stream the numbers to another destination.  I don't need p-lock.  Velocity or Gate would be my P-Lock.

Here's the thing - true, most modern synthesizers have the ability to route the meat-and-potatoes MIDI sources to anything else.  The problem exists with drum modules or drum machines that don't have, or really need, that ability.  I have a TR-8, and I love using the BeatStep Pro to control it.  The MIDI implementation for CCs in it is great.  Problem is, there is no way for it to treat something like gate as decay.  It just has a CC destination for decay on each drum.  I want to be able to do just map my gate or velocity data to its decay CC, in addition to the duty those sources normally serve.  That's it.  Wouldn't even have to be one the sequencers, just the Drum track.

I would greatly appreciate it if something like this could get prioritized on the BeatStep Pro firmware update roadmap, Arturia support.  Thanks!

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 12:46:23 am »
Gate can't really be changed for anything else, it's your note length.  An arbitrary length could be used, but I'd rather not have that just to send a CC.  Velocity is a much more viable parameter for changing to an assignable CC.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

moogmusic

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 04:59:31 pm »
This would work really well for me - especially if you could re-map the CCs in the drum sequencer and so potential sequence 16 different MIDI CCs, that's a lot of control.

tajnost

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 02:03:06 am »
good ideas, the best solution for me would be Shift + Velocity, Shift + Gate combos to for 2 additional CCs...

Stakker

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 07:11:06 pm »
Replying to an oldish thread because I also would find this very useful.

BeatStep Pro and Roland SH-01A are a fantastic pair except for one detail: the only thing that responds to velocity in the SH-01A is the VCA. Not the filter cutoff, unlike almost every other synth on the planet. Yeah, the 101 didn't have velocity at all, but still it's pretty stupid as the SH-01A has many other improvements over the original but not this.

The filter will however respond to MIDI CC 74. So, if I only could change the BSP sequencer velocity to send CC 74, I'd be golden.

Cheers

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines