March 28, 2024, 10:44:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: FIXED. Tuning and sound stability in paraphonic mode  (Read 1415 times)

Mallorn

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
FIXED. Tuning and sound stability in paraphonic mode
« on: September 19, 2017, 08:03:48 am »
Dear Matrix Brute Users.

First of all, I would like to say, that I am happy to be here. This is my first post here, so - Hello Everyone :)
As a new, excited and inspired new Matrix explorer, I have spent many hours during the first week of my new musical adventure.
I have one question: when I set all three oscillators to triangle or sine (it is possible when you use VCO 1 and 2 sub transposed higher) and play chords in paraphonic mode, there is kind of distortion between sounds. Is it normal? I can imagine, that two triangle or sine waves may interfere with each other, but I prefer to ask.

All the best for You (and thanks in advance for any response)
Pat
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 08:47:37 am by Mallorn »

Vic-tor

• Sound designer & Jedi
  • Global Moderator
Re: Tuning and sound stability in paraphonic mode
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 12:15:10 pm »
Hey Pat !

Good to read that you are enjoying the synth :) I too have had (and still have sometime) hours of experimenting on it

What you are hearing is the filter being clipped due to the 3 oscillators being played at the same time. While this phenomena is usually useful for mono sounds; playing different chords will result in different "overdrive tones", which may sound weird if you are not aiming for this sound in particular.

To have a clean paraphonic sound with the triangles :

-Set the waveform knob levels on VCO 1 & 2 to the maximum (so that it matches VCO 3 which is always @ max level;
-Set the VCO 1 2 & 3 mixer level to about 60%

Now it should be clean ! The only side effect is that the overall preset volume will be quieter than mono patches that tend to have the waveforms cranked up in the mixer.

Hope it helps ! :)

Mallorn

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Tuning and sound stability in paraphonic mode
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 04:00:50 pm »
Hi Vic-tor.

It works!
Thank You very much :)

Best!
Pat

Carbonate design by Bloc