April 19, 2024, 09:27:52 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: No MIDI signal in Ableton --- please HELP  (Read 3812 times)

gary coburn

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
No MIDI signal in Ableton --- please HELP
« on: September 11, 2017, 01:44:45 pm »
Hi all,

I'm new to the whole midi thing (been producing entirely using digital vst) after purchasing the Drum Brute, which is just the beginning.

The problem I am having is that Ableton is not receiving any midi?????

I have messed about with preferences in Ableton to assign the midi in/out for the Drumbrute, but for some reason even when doing this, I cannot select Drumbrute in the IO on the Ableton mixing console, which I would have expected to see.

I must be doing something wrong, but I would have anticipated this process being simple rather tha n complicated, you plug it in, you route it and away you go. This does not seem to be the case.

I have routed Drumbrute to my PC via the USB cable. I have also routed the audio directly to my audio interface as I understand that the audio is not generated thru midi, and I can hear the audio from Drumbrute no problem through Ableton when using an audio channel.

I can also see thru the Midi Control Center that this is also receiving a signal when I hit the pad, but again no midi being picked up in Ableton.

I am sure there is a simple answer or some toggle I have missed, cause I have exhausted every option, fiddled with every setting to no avail, and the manuals are like trying to decrypt some ancient mystery.

Can someone please explain in simple terms the process/setup the Drumbrute so that it can be a slave to Ableton?

Thanks in advance,
Gary
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 10:33:23 am by gary coburn »

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
Re: No MIDI signal in Ableton --- please HELP
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 02:14:11 pm »
Hi gary coburn,
The DrumBrute MIDI driver is class compliant. That means it uses the one provided by the operating system (Microsoft Windows for you, it seems). The Microsoft driver is not Multi Client. That means you need to close the MCC and every other software that uses MIDI in order for it to work in Ableton Live.

Regards,
Yannick.

gary coburn

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 03:40:47 pm »
Really, that is crazy!!!

I really hope this sorts it out cause I'm sure I cannot be the only one who ever had this problem, and I shall post the result.

Thanks for your replay Yannick, appreciate i as it was driving me nuts.

gary coburn

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 10:32:59 am »
Really, that is crazy!!!

I really hope this sorts it out cause I'm sure I cannot be the only one who ever had this problem, and I shall post the result.

Thanks for your replay Yannick, appreciate i as it was driving me nuts.

Yannick, your words were spot on, not that I doubted them for an instant, so thank you. Seems my first lesson in midi is understanding the term "class compliant" and what this means. Just to re-iterate to anyone else reading this, you really MUST unplug all devices that are using midi, and these in turn must be daisy chained I'm guessing, such as a midi keyboard, Ableton Push etc.

Also the MCC (Midi Control Center) from what I can tell is just a way of getting under the hood of your Arturia device, for example, updating the firmware, and does NOT serve as a midi tool to communicate with the DAW (which is what I thought initially).

Anyways, I'm delighted that the issue is resolved and I can start using it in my productions. So again, thank you for your reply and putting me on the right path.

All the best, Gary.

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 11:22:01 am »
Hi Gary,
Seems my first lesson in midi is understanding the term "class compliant" and what this means
Just to be clear: Class compliant is not specific to MIDI. It may be also the case for other devices (hard drives, webcams, mice...).

Just to re-iterate to anyone else reading this, you really MUST unplug all devices that are using midi, and these in turn must be daisy chained I'm guessing, such as a midi keyboard, Ableton Push etc.
No, you need to close all the softwares using the midi devices. You need to use only one software at a time (on Microsoft Windows). Daisy chaining is not mandatory. For instance, you cannot use Ableton Live and MIDI OX at the same time. It is possible to do so using MultiClient virtual drivers, but it is a little bit tricky to do so. Just for you to know, Mac OSX has built-in MultiClient drivers. That means, on an Apple Mac, you can use your DrumBrute with both MCC and Ableton Live at the same time. Windows drivers does not allow this.

Also the MCC (Midi Control Center) from what I can tell is just a way of getting under the hood of your Arturia device, for example, updating the firmware, and does NOT serve as a midi tool to communicate with the DAW (which is what I thought initially).
Yes, you are right.

So again, thank you for your reply and putting me on the right path.
My pleasure.

Best regards,
Y.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines