March 28, 2024, 09:29:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: "80s Sequences" from the sound bank random bell tones  (Read 3288 times)

joelhof

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
"80s Sequences" from the sound bank random bell tones
« on: September 10, 2017, 05:08:13 am »
Another excellent soft-synth from Arturia but ... the "80s Sequence" sound (love this layered with the Solina House Dressing 1) produces a random bell sound when playing arpeggios. Typically two and three note chord, just playing around, switching it up and out of the blue, a bell tone, usually the middle note in the arp. Not reproducible in any consistent way. Sometimes right away, or after a few minutes of playing, and sometimes doesn't do it at all. If I play long enough, it will eventually do it. Does it with the stand-alone program and the vst. 64 and 32 bit. When it starts to happen, typically it will happen more often but still randomly. The bell tone is really cool if I could control it to play when I wanted it to, like with after-touch or something. A very nice ringing to it. All my software is up to date. Running Windows 7 pro on a Dell T5500, Dual X5650's, 36GB ram, Xonar DSX sound card, Keylab 49. Happens using windows audio or ASIO drivers. Nothing else running in the background ...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 05:12:42 am by joelhof »
Dell T5500 - Dual X5670 Xeon Hex-Core Processors, 36 GB Ram, Xonar Sound Card, Utra-Wide Monitor
Windows 7, Linux Mint 18.3 - Dual Boot & VirtualBox (Yes, it does ...)
V Collection 4 & 5, Cantabile, Reaper, Ardour, asst'd VST's, huge fan of ZynAddSubFX, Hauptwerk & Arturia
Dual Arturia KeyLab 49's

LBH

Re: "80s Sequences" from the sound bank random bell tones
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 03:05:44 pm »
I just tried it out. I was about to write it is hard when it's random behavior. But then it happend when i changed a chord. I have noticed similar behavior in other presets.

I think it perhaps has to do with some settings. But i think it's an error it happens and Arturia should have a look at it.

Can you produce the sound you mention if you for example raise FM Amount for Partial 1 more frequently? And/ or the Harmonic Envelope settings for Partial 1? And/ or the Keyboard Envelope modulation amount for Partial 1?
The Keyboard Envelope is set to modulate FM Amount for Partial 1 in the 80s Sequence preset in the MODS page.
Edit: It's like a high level is caught by the release when it should'nt. Perhaps a time issue between the attack and decay phase to the release, so release sometimes catch a level from the attack and decay phase if the phase is'nt finished or come at the same time as the release phase kick in. Edit end.

Perhaps you can find a way to tweak the preset to behave just like you wan't including controling the sound you mention.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 08:34:19 pm by LBH »

joelhof

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 01:16:03 am »
LBH, thanks for the reply and confirm! Good ideas and I'll investigate further and play around with it to see if I can make it more reproducible. If I could zero in on what's causing the anomaly, maybe I could control it. That would be so sweet. The sounds outta this are very nice and the sonic possibilities are endless. As with the rest of the V collection, lovin' it! Just need more time ...

Edit: Ah Ha! Thanks for the tips again LBH! Made some headway. Can reproduce the sound by shifting the decay on the Harmonic Envelope of Partial 1 from it's default 0 to something greater. That is the bell sound! Some combination of decay and some sustain. The anomaly is still there though, for example, if the decay is set to 0.080 and sustain remains 0, so you can barely hear the bell sound, the random change still happens. I'll play with it more when I get a chance ... Edit end.

Edit: Couldn't wait. It's all about the sustain in the Partial 1 Harmonic Envelope. Can't reproduce the random anomaly, but if the sustain is set to around 2.5 regardless of changing the decay, it's the exact bell sound or very close. I have no idea what is causing the glitch in the algorithm in the software to randomly add sustain (fixed amount as the tone is the same every glitch), that also seems to extend the release. The anomaly is still happening because every once in a while I'll get a poly sound with one of the other notes in the sequence instead of a clean arpeggio, or a sustained note beyond what it should be. Also it seems to only happen when you lift off a note, probably obviously, but another clue. So it seems it is a real software bug. Hopefully this is enough info for the software gurus to go on. Does this get reported from here automatically? In spite of this, the beauty is I can control adding in the sound in the mods section! This software truly kicks the donkey! Edit end.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 03:43:10 am by joelhof »
Dell T5500 - Dual X5670 Xeon Hex-Core Processors, 36 GB Ram, Xonar Sound Card, Utra-Wide Monitor
V Collection 4 & 5, Cantabile, Reaper, Ardour, asst'd VST's, huge fan of ZynAddSubFX, Hauptwerk & Arturia
Dual Arturia KeyLab 49's

LBH

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 04:06:04 am »
 :)
Sometimes you can learn something by solving things and test things.

You can try to remove Partial 1's Harmonic Envelope Release on the SCR Envelopes page, and then on the SCR Mods page add a Mod source to control Partial 1's Harmonic Envelope Decay and Release (Destinations for the Mod source.).
I can't tell if that's okay. But perhaps it's something like that you are looking for.

I'm not sure this is a bug or just a preset coding issue.
But there is'nt any decay set in the relevant Harmonic envelope for Partial 1. So i can't see the release should have time to catch a level from the decay. But it does sometimes when changing notes. I would say it should'nt happen.

I don't think it's a matter of sustain as such. But it look like it's a envelope issue. At least the envelope is part of the issue or the behavior.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 04:09:34 am by LBH »

joelhof

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 03:16:14 am »
Hey LBH, thanks for all the tips. I don't have time to take a look at it now, but I did all my "checking" in the SCR section with the Harmonic Envelope. Didn't play in the main panel section with it and don't even know if the settings correlate, or if they are even there for that matter. Still learning. 8) Also, it was in the Mods section of the SCR that I was able to get the sound when I want it using an expression pedal. This software is so versatile. It kicks! Hopefully I'll get a chance to look at it more closely later in the week. thx for your time ...
Dual Arturia KeyLab 49's

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines