March 28, 2024, 04:34:12 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: VC5 Preset updater can't find presets  (Read 5144 times)

haloinreverse

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
VC5 Preset updater can't find presets
« on: September 02, 2017, 10:32:37 pm »
Please help. The VC5 preset converter can't find any of my exported user banks. I've installed it followed the directions, hit "scan" and it finds zero presets. I've tried it on 2 other computers and it still cannot find my presets. Could someone that has gotten this to work please convert my presets for me? I would be happy to email them to you in a zip file. This is beyond frustrating I upgraded to the V5 Collection 6 months ago and haven't installed it yet because I cannot afford to lose any of my user presets, too many projects depend on them. The fact that I have to do this in the first place is absurd.  ???

haloinreverse

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: VC5 Preset updater can't find presets
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 10:56:50 pm »
As you can see from the screen shot it can't find anything.

LBH

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 10:58:40 pm »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

The preset updater/ converter don't convert exported banks/ presets. It convert older installed presets to the new V-Collection 5 presets.

You say you have older presets. So i presume you have older applications than V-COllection 5 applications installed.

You can install V-Collection 5 alongside older V-Collection applications. (BTW There is sound differences between the versions.) Installing V-Collection 5 don't remove older stuff. You don't loose anything. But i would create a back-up of all my anyway before installing new applications, just in case anything go wrong or my computer die and so on. Allways create back-ups. FYI: Presets can beside exported banks also be found on windows in the hidden folder ProgramData, and there is a similar location on MAC.
When both applications is installed, then you can use the preset updater/ converter. All user presets that you have in your older applications, when you open them can be updated/ converted. If you save old factory presets as user presets using "Save As", then you can convert those too.

The new applications and there preset system need this procedure. Normally they don't.

There are more informations to be found in the knowleadge base and in the forums about this.
But ask here if needed.

Please feel free to share you presets in the Arturia forums.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 11:03:43 pm »
You posted while i wrote.
Shall i understand your screenshot like you have installed VC5 but have uninstalled VC4?
You need both. At least the presets need to be availble as the presets application load. So in ProgramData etc like i mentioned in above post.
You can just re-install VC4 if you have uninstalled, and then load all your old presets into the old applications. Then you should be able to find and update/ convert the presets.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 11:08:23 pm by LBH »

haloinreverse

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 11:37:11 pm »
Ok....

I currently have the V4 collection installed, I never uninstalled it. I do not yet have the V5 collection installed.

I need my presets from my V4 collection. I have many projects that currently rely on them and would like to port them over to the V5 collection, I cannot afford to lose any of these presets that took much of my time to create. When I open the preset converter and click "scan" it does not find any of my presets. I am running Windows 7 Pro 64bit.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 11:42:45 pm by haloinreverse »

LBH

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 11:46:47 pm »
You have nothing to update to installed. You need things to be availble in ProgramData. As said - install VC5 and then run the preset updater/ converter.
what happens then?

haloinreverse

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 11:52:29 pm »
Ok I will try installing the VC5 update and then running the preset converter and let you know what happens.

LBH

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 11:57:28 pm »
Just remember that only presets availble as user presets "inside" VC4 collection and thus availble in ProgramData are found by the scan.

LBH

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 12:10:12 am »
I can add that VC5 plug-ins don't replace VC4 plug-ins in your DAW automaticly. And as there can be difference between VC4 and VC5 sound, then i would keep VC4 in old projects.

Actually the only way to be sure to keep things as originally is to converts MIDI tracks to audio, when it's done. Then any change in plug-ins don't matter. So if you wan't to uninstall VC4 after preset update, Then perhaps it's a good idea to do this audio conversion first.

And remember always to create back-ups. Better safe than sorry.

haloinreverse

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 12:31:38 am »
Ok I just installed the VC5 upgrade, now both VC4 and VC5 are on my computer. Same thing. Preset converter does not find any presets. Now what?

Oh and the V5 plugins are not showing up either in my plugin menu, only the V4 plugins, I checked the build date on each of them. I installed them and they aren't showing up.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 12:38:16 am by haloinreverse »

LBH

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 12:51:13 am »
Ok I just installed the VC5 upgrade, now both VC4 and VC5 are on my computer. Same thing. Preset converter does not find any presets. Now what?
And your VC4 presets are to find in the VC4 applications when you open the applications?
Remember it's not your exported presets that are being updated. (And only user presets are found - not factory presets.)

Oh and the V5 plugins are not showing up either in my plugin menu, only the V4 plugins, I checked the build date on each of them. I installed them and they aren't showing up.
And have you installed them to the path your DAW read just like the VC4 collection?
(VC5 have both VST2 and VST3 plug-ins. VST3 plug-ins have a different path. DAWs handle this in different ways.)

Screenshots example of a VC4 user preset folders from ProgramData would be nice to see.
Also a screenshot of a VC5 preset folder. In VC5 all applications presets are inside a folder named Presets.

Are both VC4 and VC5 activated in Arturia Software Center?

I don't think it matter, both also try to run the stand alone applications before using the plug-ins. This does matter for some other vendors applications.

And perhaps restart you PC.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 01:00:19 am by LBH »

haloinreverse

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 01:01:44 am »
Ok what I had to do was install it all one at a time from the ASC. Its now installing and showing up and the preset converter is now seeing the presets.

I really hope they don't do this with the V6 collection. I've never had to go through any of this before with any VST instrument software since I started using them almost 20 years ago. This was poorly thought out and executed. Nobody should have to go through all of this especially the preset conversion.

LBH

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2017, 01:08:39 am »
Great you got it going now.

I don't think Arturia had done this if it was'nt needed.

I perhaps would have prefered VC5 to be a whole new line with all new presets only, and then bugfixed VC4 fully for old sounds. But i guess that's more maintenance work.

The new presets browser is great.

haloinreverse

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2017, 01:50:08 am »
Yup the new browser is great but the presets should have just carried over like with all plugin updates on every VSTi out there. That's something they really need to work on.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines