March 28, 2024, 06:46:26 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Which MIDI CC value is assigned to Pedal 1?  (Read 4198 times)

michael_davis

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Which MIDI CC value is assigned to Pedal 1?
« on: September 02, 2017, 05:35:59 pm »
Hi,

I've got a pedal expression controller. By default it's assigned to CC 11, and that controls Pedal 2 in Matrix.

I'd like to use that pedal as Pedal 1, partly because then I'll be able to control the vibrato at the output - there doesn't seem to be a way to control the vibrato with Pedal 2.

I've tried to use some of the other standard CC values, such as 4 (foot controller) 12 and 13 (effect controllers 1 and 2) but those don't work.

What CC number does Pedal 1 listen to in Matrix?

Thanks,
Michael Davis
Ottawa

LBH

Re: Which MIDI CC value is assigned to Pedal 1?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 08:26:39 pm »
Hi,

I've got a pedal expression controller. By default it's assigned to CC 11, and that controls Pedal 2 in Matrix.

I'd like to use that pedal as Pedal 1, partly because then I'll be able to control the vibrato at the output - there doesn't seem to be a way to control the vibrato with Pedal 2.

I've tried to use some of the other standard CC values, such as 4 (foot controller) 12 and 13 (effect controllers 1 and 2) but those don't work.

What CC number does Pedal 1 listen to in Matrix?

Thanks,
Michael Davis
Ottawa
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

You can read about some reserved Midi CC in the manual. You can for example read this:
 Expression MSB (CC #11)
 Expression LSB (CC #43)
 Sustain (CC #64)

AFAIK the pedal selection in the Vibrato selection refer to the Sustain/ Hold pedal (CC #64). This parameter is availble as automation parameter.
But you can try CC#43. I have'nt tried this.

DAW's can offer different ways too - like a way to automate and assing a expression pedal to a control that can act like the Pedal in the Vibrato source. Or there can be ways where you can control the Modwheel with your expression pedal to control the Vibrato. The Modwheel is also availble as a automation parameter.

Perhaps it's also possible to use Midi Learn to for example assign a expression pedal to the Vibrato AMP or Vibrato MOD AMT for another source control you can set to a fixed value. I haven't tried this yet. All parameters are availble as automation parameters.

There are many modulation possibilities in Matrix, and perhaps you can find ways that you can use for a specific use. Just remember that while Vibrato work monphonic, then LFO's work per voice - polyphonic. I've requested an option to set the LFO's to work as monophonic like the vibrato. Then for this vibrato usage you could use a monophonic LFO to create the vibrato, and have this LFO's AMP to be controlled by the expression pedal. Perhaps you can use this option for some sounds like a single voice sound.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 09:57:27 pm by LBH »

michael_davis

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 03:58:01 am »
Thanks so much, LBH, I'm very happy someone responded so quickly!

First, which manual has the midi implementation details? The only manual I could find is this one:

http://downloads.arturia.com/products/matrix-12-v/manual/Matrix-12_V_Manual_2_0_0_EN.pdf

and it doesn't have that info.

You're right that the sustain pedal controls the vibrato. I wouldn't have thought of trying that, because in my mind the amount of vibrato should be controlled by a continuous controller, not by an on/off switch. But in my case the sustain pedal just switches on the vibrato.

I think that's not the best implementation, but that's just my opinion.

cheers
Mike

LBH

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 05:19:26 am »
Your welcome.

First, which manual has the midi implementation details? The only manual I could find is this one:
http://downloads.arturia.com/products/matrix-12-v/manual/Matrix-12_V_Manual_2_0_0_EN.pdf
and it doesn't have that info.
The info is in - Section 3.2.8.4 - Reserved MIDI CC numbers - page 29 - in the manual you link to.

You're right that the sustain pedal controls the vibrato. I wouldn't have thought of trying that, because in my mind the amount of vibrato should be controlled by a continuous controller, not by an on/off switch. But in my case the sustain pedal just switches on the vibrato.

I think that's not the best implementation, but that's just my opinion.
I kind of agree. But i do think the original Matrix was the same. And there are both modwheel and aftertouch control.
You can suggest that Arturia add the menu option to use the expression pedal to control Vibrato alongside the existing menu options. I second that.

I can tell, that the Sustain automation parameter accept continious control. I don't know what happens if one plug a expression pedal into a dedicated sustain pedal input. Perhaps it will work like a expression pedal.

And as i wrote, then you perhaps can assign the expression pedal in other ways to optain what you wan't using Midi learn and or DAW possibilities and automation parameters.

Cheers
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 05:21:05 am by LBH »

LBH

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 09:08:56 pm »
According to the  original hardware Matrix manual, then both pedals can be used in different ways. So the Matrix V automation parameter work correct.
But the original manual also say Lever 2 and Pedal 2 can control Vibrato.

The following is from the original hardware Matrix manual:

"PEDAL 1 and PEDAL 2
The MATRIX-12 is capable of being controlled by two footpedals for common
functions such as volume control and sustain as well as many other unusual
functions that we will cover later. These pedals are connected to the
synthesizer by the PEDAL 1 & PEDAL 2 input jacks on the back panel. Their
polarities can be switched from the front panel.
PEDAL 1 & 2 may be used with a "continuous" pedal - a rocker-type pedal
usually used for volume or filter control. As we talk about the MATRIX-12s
modulation capability in a later section, you will discover how you can also
route the pedal's control to the VCO's, for example, to get pitch bend, to the
LFOfs for vibrato amount, and to many other "destinations" as they are called
to achieve enormous flexibility in footpedal control.
PEDAL 1 & 2 may also be used with a "switch" pedal - an on/off type pedal
usually used for sustain. As with PEDAL 1, this pedal's control can also be
used to perform other functions as well."

michael_davis

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 01:38:53 pm »
Wow, so both pedals could be continuous! That makes more sense. I'll have to try to find a copy of the original manual, just for fun!

Thanks so much,
MD

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines