March 28, 2024, 07:07:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Shift--- layer 2 mode to add 3 more tracks!  (Read 3667 times)

drfooks

Shift--- layer 2 mode to add 3 more tracks!
« on: August 30, 2017, 06:56:12 pm »
A "shift" layer essentially adding 3 more tracks would take BSP to the next level.  Total 5 melody tracks and 1 drum track total. Maybe something similar to entering into poly rhythm from the drum track.... Shift + Step 15 takes you into "layer 2 mode" and back to "layer 1 mode"

Change lighting color scheme to reference layer 2 mode
Change one melody track to have "poly melodic" capability

Yes!

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: Shift--- layer 2 mode to add 3 more tracks!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 02:51:44 am »
Because that is all that is holding them back from making a 6tk sequencer, a way to implement tracks 4, 5 and 6, not a maxed out cpu.

Buy a second one and a Keystep.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 10:56:33 am »
Hi guys,
the biggest problem is memory space.

Regards,
Y.

mihalw

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 09:57:59 pm »
You mean no space on the flash memory for storing sequences?
This could be solved by project stacking, that is allowing to run two projects simultaneously. This would require little extra memory for setting up additional midi channels etc. You would have 4 monophonic melodic sequences and 2 drum/polyphonic melodic sequences running at the same time.

Cheers,
Michał

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 11:04:45 am »
You mean no space on the flash memory for storing sequences?
The biggest concern is the RAM memory: 48kB (less than 1MB, do you realize? 1MB = 1024kB). You have to store the program code, the Controller Map, etc etc...

This could be solved by project stacking
This would require little extra memory for setting up additional midi channels etc.
Stacking two sequencers means doubling steps. What takes the more space are step information, because it is multiplied by 64 (128 in your proposal). Drum Sequencer is even worst as it has 64 x 16 steps = 1024 steps (2048 with you proposal). "additional midi channels etc" is not the issue here.

Then would come the CPU speed issue...

Regards,
Y.

mihalw

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 02:09:38 pm »
Thanks for the clear explanation. I wasn't expecting that BSP is driven by such a tiny brain. That's really impressive. I've looked inside and indeed there is a small ARM micro controller. This means features must be carefully selected.

I've seen many requests for pattern nudging and ratcheting. The latter would require 2 bits per step (a sensible minimum), something to consider, but much less than a full sequence.

My personal favorite would be midi cc sequencing. To avoid memory problems, as I've suggested in another post, existing drum tracks could be used for that.

All these features should be relatively easy to implement with little impact on performance.

Regards,
Michał

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 02:59:26 pm »
Hi mihalw,
I've seen many requests for pattern nudging and ratcheting.
  • Pattern nudging is indeed easy to implement.
  • Ratcheting could be eventually done. I am not sure if the memory and the processor would be able to handle it. Then would come the workflow questions.

The latter would require 2 bits per step (a sensible minimum), something to consider, but much less than a full sequence.
Yes you are totally right.

My personal favorite would be midi cc sequencing. To avoid memory problems, as I've suggested in another post, existing drum tracks could be used for that.
Yes it is worth considering.

Regards,
Y.

mihalw

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 06:27:22 pm »
Regarding workflow consider the following suggestions.

[1] Nudging
Implemented as a global shift mode function (shift+knobX).

This would allow for rapid movement, hopefully creating scratching like effects when the sequencer is running. The offset with respect to original sequence should be displayed when touching knobs (+-number of steps). This would additionally allow to firmly go back to initial position.

Possible assignments:
shift+knob5 - sequence 1
shift+knob6 - sequence 2
shift+knob7 - drum sequence (all 16 tracks)
shift+knob8 - active track

Obviously there are more possibilities to consider, for example moving all sequences at once, moving only active steps (could be quite useful for editing), muted/unmuted tracks etc. On the other hand moving active track would suffice in a minimalistic implementation.

In case of moving whole drum sequence and single tracks independently the effective position of tracks should be displayed when touching knobs.

When saving the effective sequence should be saved. After saving offsets can be reset to 0 (current track positions become new reference points for offsets).

[2] Ratcheting
Implemented as additional knobs mode for active track (apart from pitch/shift, velo and gate).

Mode activation by shift+knobs button. Pressing knobs button again would exit ratcheting mode, but other than that this button should function as normal to retain fast switching between three available standard modes.

Top knobs would be used to set ratcheting per step.

Mode indication – blinking gate diode (for less obtrusion ca. 1Hz rate 90% PWM throttle  ;) ).
Ratcheting steps should be color coded if possible.

[3] MIDI CC
[3a] MCC configuration
CC tracks should be selected in place of drum tracks. It should be possible to select as many cc tracks as required (0-16).

Each cc should have a user selectable neutral value (most commonly 0 or 64). For convenience cc definition could also have range and type (continuous or switch).

It would be useful to have a different drum map with cc configuration. Note that the ability to have more than one drum map (or even a separate drum kit per project) has been asked several times.

[3b] BSP usage
Knobs would be used to set cc value per step (when drum sequencer is active and knobs are in 'Velo' mode).

MIDI output does not differ substantially from note messages. Basically cc with neutral value should be sent instead of note-off message. Initially gate should be set to 100%, so that the next cc would be sent on the next step (with value of the next step if present or neutral value otherwise).
No cc should be sent until entered in some steps.

Shift and gate options are perfectly legal for cc, but in a minimalistic approach they could be omitted.

Ratcheting could be used for cc as well to enter intermediate steps to smooth the sequence.

It should be possible to select and save drum map separately for each project.

Regards
Michał

usser

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 04:37:17 pm »
Hi, begging for pattern nudging.

sequentialx

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 03:43:45 pm »
Hi, begging for pattern nudging.

Me too!

usser

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 10:51:27 am »
Please tech guys say is pattern nudging possible or not?
This is very welcome feature for life perfomers.
Thank You.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines