March 28, 2024, 10:15:15 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: 2 voice paraphony/polyphony  (Read 1801 times)

frostyak

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
2 voice paraphony/polyphony
« on: August 30, 2017, 04:28:23 pm »
Hi!

We got 2 choices: (Mono), Paraphonic and split.
Paraphonic - Is it possible to set it for 2 voice only (3rd OSC is only in LFO)? Or maybe 2 voice polyphony (with 2 separate filters)?
Split - Is it possible to set the right split for 2 voice paraphony and left monophony?
(There is quite a lot of VCA's/digitally controlled mixers inside.. after every OSC, filter, out VCA)

If so, please enlighten me. If not, I think this could make the synth even more godlike.

Cheers.

tp

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: 2 voice paraphony/polyphony
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 07:49:49 pm »
Interesting ideas. I put in a request elsewhere corresponding to your first paraphonic idea-- that only those oscillators that are activated (running through a filter) would be triggered in paraphonic mode, so you could do just 1 and 2, or 1 and 3, etc.

The idea of using paraphonic mode to get two-voice polyphony is basically what you get in Duo/Split mode, although you have to play them on different parts of the keyboard. I'm not sure if your idea is technically feasible, but it's intriguing.

I also like the idea of Duo/Split mode being able to have two oscillators working paraphonically through one filter and one oscillator mono through the other filter. You can kinda fake this in Paraphonic mode currently by running Oscs 1 and 2 (for example) through Filter 1, holding two-note chords, and playing a solo part with Osc 3 (non-legato so as not to re-trigger Osc 1), potentially running through Filter 2. Your idea would make this quite a bit more elegant, but again, I'm not sure whether it can be implemented. I'd be curious to hear from the Arturia folks about this.

frostyak

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: 2 voice paraphony/polyphony
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 09:28:00 pm »
tp, I'm glad you like it. In 2 voice paraphony/poly we would get much more control because the third simple voice wouldn't "get in our sound". I am trying to really master this synth as a life performance instrument and when I am playing two complex polyphonic structures which I want to overlap (say, Bach), the third voice is really getting in my way of playing it right.

I would even stretch the idea a bit further - Note Priority would set to which key will be OSC1 applied to:
High - higher note will always play OSC1 (and second OSC will take over)
Low - lower note will always play OSC1
Last note - default

This would sound amazing in capable hands.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines