March 28, 2024, 03:36:12 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: [SOLVED] DAW Command Center with Cubase  (Read 19205 times)

gummisland

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
[SOLVED] DAW Command Center with Cubase
« on: August 18, 2017, 09:39:46 am »
Hello - I've just set up my new KeyLab Essential 61.

I would like to set up the DAW command center to work with Cubase Elements 9. Midi works fine but I have yet to find a way to set up transport controls, etc. I imagine there is some manual configuration required, but I'm completely lost. The product page mentions that the protocols work with Cubase, so I assume that is not the issue. Any help at all is appreciated, I barely understand what I should be looking up.

I have also installed Live Lite since it came with the controller and the transport controls seem to be working after installing the latest public Beta (I didn't know to do this until reading the forum). But with Cubase I have no clue where to begin, this is the first time I've had a controller with these kind of features so I'm looking forward to being able to use it. Thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 10:02:21 am by Matt Arturia »

SCo_Arturia

• FW DEV - Cobra Fan
  • Global Moderator
  • Apprentice
Re: DAW Command Center with Cubase
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 12:14:36 pm »
Hello gummisland,

This will be a part of the FAQ that has not yet been released. Once It will be online, I will add the link to the FAQ into this post. Anyway, you will find below the steps to configure your setup.

In order to control Cubase with the Keylab essential you need to set it in “HUI Mode” in the Midi Control Center.

In Cubase “preferences” menu, go to the “Device” – “Device Setup” section :
Click on the little “+” located in the upper left corner.
Select “Mackie HUI” and use the “DAW In” and “DAW Out ports (MIDIIN2 and MIDIOUT2 on Windows)

Let me know if it helps.

Regards,
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 12:36:50 pm by SCo_Arturia »

gummisland

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 08:42:22 pm »
Hi - thanks for the quick reply.

This setup is exactly what I needed to know, thank you.

It does seem to mostly work now, but I am noticing a few issues in Cubase.

The metronome button does not seem to turn the metronome on/off. More troubling is the channel faders, if I move the slider up and down on the controller, I can see it trying to move in Cubase, but it seems to get hung up/stuck and does not respond for a while, if I keep moving the slider sometimes it will jump a little in Cubase but then get stuck again as I'm moving it. It is less of a minor sticking and more of an unusable control - it's mostly unresponsive despite seeming to work sometimes.

Normal transport controls work great, the pan knobs, undo, save, punch, all appear to work properly. It is only the channel faders and metro button I am having issues with.

I'll experiment with it more and see what I can figure it out. Let me know if there is anything I can try. I use Cubase Elements 9 on Windows 10.

SCo_Arturia

• FW DEV - Cobra Fan
  • Global Moderator
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 09:46:11 am »
Hello Gummisland,

First, as you noticed, the Cubase configuration with KLE uses the HUI protocol. The HUI protocol does not support metronome ON/OFF messages.

Basically, to control the DAW with KLE we use either MCU or HUI. Main problem with those two protocols is that there are not really standard (mainly for the "special" functions). That means that each DAW has its own button mapping. In KLE we use the most generic mapping (we do not have a mapping per DAW). It works (or should work) fine for track pan and volume as the protocol seems to be followed properly by most of the DAWs.

So, regarding the issue you have with faders, could you please try to configure the "Daw Fader Mode" as Jump in the KLE? (this using the Midi Control Center in Global parameters).

Please let me know if it helps.

Regards,
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 12:10:00 pm by SCo_Arturia »

gummisland

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 05:58:03 pm »
Hi - thank you for the clarification, that makes sense.

Setting the fader mode to Jump fixed the issue in Cubase - thanks for the help  :)

SCo_Arturia

• FW DEV - Cobra Fan
  • Global Moderator
  • Apprentice
Re: [SOLVED] DAW Command Center with Cubase
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 10:04:53 am »
Hello,
Here below is the FAQ related to this topic:
https://www.arturia.com/faq/keylabessential/keylab-essential-tips-tricks
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 10:07:04 am by SCo_Arturia »

york2018

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 07:13:58 am »
Thank you very much!
I had the same question.
After I set up as your suggestions, the Transport buttons, Faders and Knobs of Ch.1-8 of my Essential 49 can work well in Cubase.
However, the fader and knob of the Master Channel still cannot work in Cubase.
Could you help me to solve this problem?
Or could you tell me the Midi address of the Fader and Knob of the Master Channel? My cubase cannot learn the Midi address of them.
I don't know why.

Thanks.

danijell

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 03:04:30 pm »
Hi,

I just wanted to add something in this topic - as I had an issues with Keylab Essential (49) and Cubase DAW Control - it seems there was some kind of "mixed control info", especially when using Analog Lab in Cubase.

And finally I solved it: the issue is (was) in MIDI Port Setup - you must checkout 'In All MIDI Inputs' for MIDIN2 for Arturia:

Nixturion

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 11:25:23 pm »
I had the same problem, and removing the x in the box next to 'Keylab Essentials' All Midi In has fixed most of them.
As has getting a new soundcard with better drivers because my ancient soundcard just couldn't hack it apparently, and they no longer make updated drivers for it.
I see above the reason for the metronome button not working. Not a major problem.
Just wondering why the jog wheel won't move the position in Cubase, as the Keylab manual says it will, and also why the master fader control doesn't work.
Also, should the transport control buttons on the Keylab light up according to what they are doing? This isn't happening on mine (but they're working fine). For example the 'loop' button light is permanently on even when I have used it to switch 'loop' off. Play and record don't light up. It's permanently stuck on 'stop' even when I'm recording.
Thanks,

DocBambs

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2021, 07:15:07 pm »
For Cubase 11 in Windows (and maybe other versions) you need to select Studio/Studio Setup... and then add the device under Remote Devices. Make sure you select MIDIIN2(Arturia Keylad 88) as the MIDI Input and Arturia KeyLab Essential 88 (or whichever version you have) for MIDI Output.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines