April 20, 2024, 11:01:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: How I Fixed ASC Crashing on Windows 10 Pro  (Read 2948 times)

Fortissimo!

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
How I Fixed ASC Crashing on Windows 10 Pro
« on: August 14, 2017, 04:54:04 am »
Starting today, EVERY TIME I tried to launch ASC, it would crash before it could initialize.

Same as that other thread.  Each time I tried to start it, I would get a dialog saying, "Arturia Software Center has stopped working.  A problem casued the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

I also tried to run it in administrator mode, with no success.

Here is what I did to fix it, at least for now.  I won't give you all the steps I took to come up with this procedure because that would just bore you and make you hate me.

1.  Try rebooting.  It didn't fix it for me, but you never know.
2.  Back up your C partition or whatever partition holds your OS, including your Windows registry.
3.  Just in case a non-nuclear reinstall will work for you, try uninstalling and reinstalling ASC from a fresh download from the Arturia website.  Use "Programs and Features" in the Windows Control Panel to do the uninstall.  If it works after a standard reinstall, you won't have to edit your registry.

4.  If (when?) 3 above does not fix it for you (didn't fix it for me ), then the next step is to nuke the ASC installation from orbit.  So...

---- 4.a - Go back to Programs and Features, and again uninstall ASC.
---- 4.b - Go to your OS partition, find the Arturia Software Center folder inside of PROGRAMDATA, and delete it.  Alternatively, you could rename it in case you think you might need to preserve it for later reference. 
---- 4.c - Now for the fun.  This process will make a brand new ASC install you're going to do later in this process.  It does require editing your Windows Registry, so... I can make no guarantees and I must stress that you be careful and pay attention to what you're doing. 

And if you ignored my backup step above, then do that now and go make a cup of coffee.

---- 4.d - Start REGEDIT.  Navigate to the top of the hive structure.
---- 4.e - Do a "Find" on Software Center.  Confirm that it's for Arturia Software Center and not for some other "Software Center". 
---- 4.f - Delete that key, confirm the prompt.
---- 4.g - Do a "Find Next" (F3), and perform 4.f again.
---- 4.h - Do until you reach the end of the registry.  If you have a huge installation from the Victorian period, this could take 10 minutes or more.  Be patient; and be sure to delete all of the registry keys related to ASC.

5.  Install ASC from the download file again from 3 above.
6.  Start ASC.  You'll see that it looks brand new now, and is looking for logonid and password.  Deleting the ASC folder from Programdata and clearing all traces of ASC out of the registry is what gave ASC amnesia, and for me I believe it cleared whatever the error was that was preventing successful initialization.
7.  Enter your logon information.  Select your configuration defaults, such as VST paths and that setting that defaults to "delete downloads after installation".  Yuck!

8.  See if any of your products need to be updated.  Proceed normally.

9.  Don't forget to take ANOTHER backup of your C partition (or wherever your OS lives).  If ASC lives on a different partition, then take a backup of that partition too.

At least at this writing, the process noted above will NOT require that you reinstall any of your Arturia instruments.  It just allows you to get around a boogered up ASC environment, and allows you to avoid long explanations to tech support that yes, you reinstalled, you rebooted, and you did a Hopi rain dance; all to no avail.  Of course, it does not give you the chance to help tech support learn that there's a code problem with ASC, either.  Hard choices.

I hope this helps somebody one day.  Heh, it might even help "future me" who will come back here when he can't figure out why ASC won't start.   ::)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines