March 28, 2024, 08:14:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Expression Pedal with Matrixbrute  (Read 3294 times)

Sören Sören

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Expression Pedal with Matrixbrute
« on: August 09, 2017, 06:22:52 pm »
Has anyone else had problems connecting exp pedals to the mb?

i have been trying with a yamaha fc7, both polarities in the midi control center, and even using 2 y-adaptor cables to reverse the polarity. this trick has worked with all my keyboards up until now.

i only get a small range which reacts at all, most of the travel is full volume, and the lowest volume is not 0 (when the matrix is set to +99 exp 1 -> vca). when i change the polarity i get no reaction at all. both exp inputs react the same.

i'm really not very technical. the mb manual refers to the voltage, pot center tap and ground, while all references to exp pedals online talk about resistance and polarity (it makes sense to me that, to a certain degree, exp pedals don't care about voltage). does the mb expect a different resistance? is this a fault?

Sören Sören

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Expression Pedal with Matrixbrute
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 06:27:29 pm »
update:

i went to my local synth shop today and tried the m-audio ev-p and roland ev-5 (both 10k resistance) with the matrixbrute sitting there. they work perfectly! well, the m-audio has some mechanical deficiencies (pot hardly turns for the first 3rd of the pedal's travel) so i bought the more expensive roland pedal and have now tried it with my matrixbrute and everything works as it should! lots of fun! (i only wish there were a way to use the much more comfortable and rugged yamaha pedals with the matrixbrute)

i also connected a roland dp10, since this has a continuous option it can function as an "expression" pedal which when released springs back to 0. this is a lot of fun, i can only reccomend it!

robst247

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • RobSt247 on SoundCloud
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 10:04:47 pm »
I tried connecting my vintage Korg EXP-2 to the Expr. Pedal 1 input of the MatrixBrute and -- in the MOD matrix -- mapping Exp 1 to VCA with a matrix value of +99. Unfortunately, the entire 0-100% volume range was within the first few degrees of pedal sweep. Strangely, I got greater sensitivity by running Arturia MIDI Control Centre and setting Pedal 1 polarity to Inverted, but the pedal worked the wrong way round, of course.

After reading lots of expression pedal reviews and taking a look at the Roland EV-5 recommended by Sören Sören above, I finally opted for the Boss EV-30. Why? Because the chassis and the hinged plate are made of diecast aluminium. It's built like a tank -- far more durable that the EV-5 and much cheaper and lighter plastic alternatives such as the M-Audio EX-P. It has TWO Exp outputs, a polarity switch (not necessary with the MatrixBrute), and independent pedal-range adjustment for both outputs (by tweaking the MIN knobs). Because of the dual outputs, you can connect it to the MatrixBrute's Expr. Pedal 1 and Expr. Pedal 2 inputs with two ¼-inch jack TRS (stereo) cables. And then you can control two Matrix parameters simultaneously, either in the same (+|+) or the opposite (+|-) sense. For example, with an ultrasaw lead, as you depress the pedal the volume increases while the Master Cutoff decreases. This feature gives you a wide range of creative foot-controlled modulation possibilities. The Roland EV-5 is currently selling for €66 and the Boss EV-30 for €99. To me, the extra €33 is a worthwhile investment, considering that you get an all-metal chassis and plate, as well as the dual Exp outputs and the range adjustment. The superb Boss EV-30 adds an extra, infinitely variable expressive dimension to your playing. And you could probably drive your car over it or have your [ahem] gravitationally challenged lover park her/his massive posterior on it without inflicting serious damage (to the pedal, I mean). It's extremely robust! Highly recommended for all MatrixBruters.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 10:22:57 pm by robst247 »
Morpheus: "Nobody can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself."

carpetsquare

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 04:28:33 am »
Sören Sören: I'm having the exact same issue with the Keylab 61 MkII and the Yamaha FC7.
Pedal completely up sends a CC value 48
Pedal at 20% sends 127.
Pedal at any range past 20% sends no values.

Changing the configuration in Midi Control Center only makes things worse (instead of 48 - 127 you can get an even narrower range)

On the other hand the polarity is correct, it's just an infuriatingly narrow range of use.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 04:31:15 am by carpetsquare »

jocksbeat

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 09:31:49 pm »
I tried connecting my vintage Korg EXP-2 to the Expr. Pedal 1 input of the MatrixBrute and -- in the MOD matrix -- mapping Exp 1 to VCA with a matrix value of +99. Unfortunately, the entire 0-100% volume range was within the first few degrees of pedal sweep. Strangely, I got greater sensitivity by running Arturia MIDI Control Centre and setting Pedal 1 polarity to Inverted, but the pedal worked the wrong way round, of course.

After reading lots of expression pedal reviews and taking a look at the Roland EV-5 recommended by Sören Sören above, I finally opted for the Boss EV-30. Why? Because the chassis and the hinged plate are made of diecast aluminium. It's built like a tank -- far more durable that the EV-5 and much cheaper and lighter plastic alternatives such as the M-Audio EX-P. It has TWO Exp outputs, a polarity switch (not necessary with the MatrixBrute), and independent pedal-range adjustment for both outputs (by tweaking the MIN knobs). Because of the dual outputs, you can connect it to the MatrixBrute's Expr. Pedal 1 and Expr. Pedal 2 inputs with two ¼-inch jack TRS (stereo) cables. And then you can control two Matrix parameters simultaneously, either in the same (+|+) or the opposite (+|-) sense. For example, with an ultrasaw lead, as you depress the pedal the volume increases while the Master Cutoff decreases. This feature gives you a wide range of creative foot-controlled modulation possibilities. The Roland EV-5 is currently selling for €66 and the Boss EV-30 for €99. To me, the extra €33 is a worthwhile investment, considering that you get an all-metal chassis and plate, as well as the dual Exp outputs and the range adjustment. The superb Boss EV-30 adds an extra, infinitely variable expressive dimension to your playing. And you could probably drive your car over it or have your [ahem] gravitationally challenged lover park her/his massive posterior on it without inflicting serious damage (to the pedal, I mean). It's extremely robust! Highly recommended for all MatrixBruters.
I agree with you, robst247: I had a Roland EV-5 for over 20 years, before it started to send out inconsistent values. Bought a new EV-5. That one didn't feel like the same quality product. Sure enough, after a month I had to send it back, with the same problems. If the Boss EV-30 has a better quality feel, I will choose that one too, the next time. 

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines