April 19, 2024, 11:33:52 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: KeyLab 88 many problems, please help asap!  (Read 7148 times)

misfit

KeyLab 88 many problems, please help asap!
« on: August 06, 2017, 04:54:21 am »
Please keep in mind that I am a new keyboard player and have not learned all of the proper terminology in describing the parts of a keyboard properly. So I may not describe things correctly. I just recently purchased a KeyLab 88 apparently brand new, but upon taking it out of the box and powering it up I discovered a multitude of problems with it.

The first thing I noticed was after a minute or two of being powered on, the display goes to the transposition screen and the keyboard's octave is transposed up by 2 all by itself. Also the "Multi", "Progr. Chng.", and "Curve" buttons in the Edit Parameters section of the top panel light up as if they were pressed and stay that way permanently until the keyboard is shut off whether I press any other top panel buttons or not, and random keys will start playing themselves at random intervals. The "Up" button of the Octave transposition buttons lights up and anytime I try pressing either the down or the up Octave buttons all it does is change the semitone transposition up. It doesn't matter if I press down or up. The semitone value always goes up and I can't change any other value of the Octave transposition. It just stays stuck at +2.

The other major noticeable problem is that basically all the C#, A, and F keys do not register at all when I press them. Strangely, there seems to be some sort of pattern of defect with these keys that I haven't completely figured out yet. But from what I can tell starting from the left side of the keyboard going all the way to the far right side, whether one of the C#, A, or F keys is working or not seems to depend on the working status of the previous key or it might be that they are alternating. So for example, going from the left side of the keyboard to the right and playing each successive key they alternate as working or not working. This only happens with the C#, A, and F keys across the entire 88 keys. All the other key notes seem to be working fine. Why would this happen?

The keyboard shipped with firmware version 1.2.0.5 and after discovering the problems with the keyboard I tried to flash the firmware to the latest version of 1.2.0.6. That appears to have completed successfully according to the Midi Control Center software I used to do the firmware flash but that has not resolved the problems at all. So it appears I will have to return the keyboard to the seller. However, I wanted to check and see if anyone knows of a possible fix for these issues that I might be able to do on my own. If anyone does have experience with these problems and how to fix them please reply to this post ASAP. I only have about 7 days from 8/5/17 to return the keyboard so I need to know about any fix before that return window closes. Otherwise I will be stuck with a very expensive paperweight.

One other thing, does anyone know where I can see a video or instructions on how to properly re-apply the little plastic strip that sort of holds the keys together during shipping I assume to protect them from damage? I didn't really pay attention to how it was installed before I just took it off of the keys. I didn't anticipate having to return the keyboard as it looked to be brand new and in pristine condition when I first unboxed it.

compression67

Re: KeyLab 88 many problems, please help asap!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 08:04:31 pm »
Wondering if you found a solution.

I just unpacked my new Keylab 88 controller from the box last night.  I too have dead keys all the way across the keybed, mine are different ones though.  The Pattern is this: E1, C2, G#2 then E3, C4, G#4 then E5, C6, G#6 then E7, C8 are 11 keys are dead no matter what I do.  Updated firmware to current and tried several DAWs and standalones, nothing fixes it.  I started a tech support ticket but from what I read they are too slow to expect any good result.

I bought it 50 days ago but just got the studio ready this week so this is the first time I've hooked it up... feeling screwed.  It looked great and well packaged when I brought it home, but I should of plugged it in and checked operation.

I read somewhere that they had problems a few years ago with screws piercing the ribbon cable inside.  Perhaps it is this...

compression67

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 08:09:00 pm »
After looking at your Dead keys again, your pattern seems to be a 1/2 step higher than mine.  Sure makes the "screw in the ribbon cable" look plausible.

Cocoliso969

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 06:26:31 pm »
Hello,
I have exactly the same problem in my Keylab: C, E and G# (it doesn't like augmented chords  >:()
Did you find any solution?

Greetins from Spain

WillRogers

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 11:10:09 pm »
I am having issues with my Keylab 88, as well. Just recently, several notes dropped out, some notes play the next note to it and random loud banging notes out of nowhere! I tried the firmware update, but no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks, I have had it for 3 years and really enjoy it.

The_Logod

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 08:07:48 pm »
Same here, keys G0, B1, G2, B3, G4 etc. stopped sending midi events except aftertouch...
Updated firmware, checked USB cable, did multiple resets of the device - no avail.

The_Logod

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 03:54:45 pm »
Alright - support got back to me and I performed a factory reset per instructions:

Please perform a Factory Reset to your KeyLab, To do that:

WARNING: The following instructions will replace all KeyLab presets with the factory settings. Back up anything you do not want to lose!

Hold down both Octave buttons when you plug in the USB cable or the optional power supply. This will restore the factory presets on your KeyLab. After this, Preset 0 sets the encoders to transmit in absolute mode, while presets 1-10 set the encoders to transmit in relative mode.

Note that you need to set KeyLab to Preset 0 (I did this via Midi Control Center). I didn't to this when I tried it by myself and it seems to have solved my issue.

I hope this helps some of you.

Cheers,
Logod

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines