April 18, 2024, 06:34:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Beatstep Pro and Korg Monotribe Gate Problem  (Read 2640 times)

4n4log

Beatstep Pro and Korg Monotribe Gate Problem
« on: July 30, 2017, 03:46:57 pm »
I'm posting this because I have encountered a problem with my Beatstep Pro and my Korg Monotribe in cv/gate mode, which I could not find a solution for yet.
There are these two posts 1 2 with what I believe is the same problem, but they are a bit older already and no fix was presented in them.

First of all, this is not a Monotribe cv/gate cable related question. I have found a connection which works with the monotribe (an old Nokia video cable) and lets it respond to to both pitch and gate. Well, most of the time. If I hook it up with my Microbrute it works perfectly, with the BSP however it's a bit more complicated.
The only time it's working correctly is when I'm playing notes manually with the 'keyboard' while at the the same time the other sequencer is stopped or muted and there is no activated step in the pattern that is currently active (like a new blank pattern). As soon as I change any of these conditions, the gate signal will randomly be interrupted and it is not possible to trigger a note which lasts longer than half a second.
So when I let it play a pattern for example, it is not possible to create a continuous tone with the tie funtion, as it will only play a very short note in the beginning. Then, if I stop the sequence, the same problem will happen when I'm trying to play a long note on the keyboard, only triggering it once very shortly even though I'm still pressing the pad. If I remove all active steps from the sequence however, it will start working.

This problem happens with both sequencers, and, strangely, only with the Monotribe. When I connect my Microbrute instead, everything will be fine and none of the the issues mentioned above will occur. This makes it difficult for me to adress the problem to only one of the devices, because actually the cv/gate connection of my Monotribe works, just not under all circumstances. Which makes me think of a BSP bug, but then again it's working flawlessly with the Microbrute, so there has to be something wrong with the Monotribe as well.
My conclusion is that there is a change in the gate output of the BSP under the conditions mentioned above, and only the Monotribe is prone to it.

So my question is : Has anybody else had this problem, and is there any solution for it ? Or am I doing something wrong ?

Also, has anyone used a midi-modded Monotribe and noticed something similar ? If not using a midi input might be the solution for me, but I would like to avoid buying one if there is another, cheaper fix.

Here are some of the specs of both devices :
BSP: version 2.0.0.2 (tried downgrading to 1.4 and had the same problem though), both seq 1 and 2 set to V/Octave and V-trig
Monotribe: version 2.1, cv/gate mode: on, gate polarity: active high, pitch: V/Octave

mihalw

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Beatstep Pro and Korg Monotribe Gate Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 09:34:46 pm »
You will find useful information in this thread http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=95698
(unfortunately in volca forum - use search 'monotribe cv gate' in korgforums to find more posts).

Irregardless of monotribe cv input sensitivity there seems to be a bug in the beatstep pro.
I've attached the monotribe to sequencer 1 and it worked properly as long as there was no steps in sequencer 2.
If sequencer 2 is filled the problems you've described appear.
The only "solution" is to mute sequencer 2.

When playing pads they should override the sequence, but it seems the gates are triggered even when you hold a pad.
(Maybe there is a setting somewhere in the mcc software, but I rarely use it as I'm on linux.)

Note the monotribe cv input has limited range, so perhaps the midi interface is the way to go.
It can be made cheap if you dare to diy.

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 04:09:25 pm »
Hi all,
First of all, I am not sure to understand well your issue.
Irregardless of monotribe cv input sensitivity there seems to be a bug in the beatstep pro.
I cannot see any bug with BSP here. I may be wrong but it sounds like an electrical load issue. If it was a bug, it would do the same thing with other synths. Best thing would be to look at the signals with an oscilloscope.

Regards,
Y.

mihalw

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 08:18:27 pm »
In my test the monotribe was connected to sequencer 1 cv output (pitch/gate). It worked until I've recorded a few steps on sequencer 2. Then muting or unmuting sequencer 2 changed the behavior of monotribe.

In other words sequencer 2 affects cv output of sequencer 1, which from my understanding should not happen.

Sorry, but I don't have access to oscilloscope to investigate it that way.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines