April 25, 2024, 06:36:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Best sequencer and sampler for synthesizer?  (Read 3580 times)

socaldreamer

Best sequencer and sampler for synthesizer?
« on: July 30, 2017, 06:14:52 am »
Hi all,

I have a Microkorg synthesizer and looking for a good sampler and sequencer as well as drum machine that works well together and heard issues with the Beat Step Pro. What Arturia solutions would you recommend that work with both analog, CV and MIDI devices?

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: Best sequencer and sampler for synthesizer?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 06:36:23 am »
For monosynths/melody sequencing plus great drum sequencing, the BSP is excellent.  For chord sequencing the Keystep is great.  Both are quite capable MIDI->CV interfaces able to be connected using a wide variety of CV standards.
The Roland SP range seem to be a favourite of many hardware sampler users.  I personally have a Roland MV-8000 which is extreme overkill for simple sample triggering, but is an incredible standalone sampler editor.

Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

socaldreamer

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 07:07:58 am »
Thanks, so I can use the BSP as the central brain and controller so to speak for all connected MIDI and modular devices, right? So let us say that I have a Microkorg, Volca beats, Arturia Drumbrute, and Moog Mother 32, it can manage and control playback and recording of samples from these mixed MIDI and modular devices, right?

I was looking at Elektron Octatrack but as a newbie, the price is 6x more than a BSP and I can always upgrade later if I need more capability. BTW, I really dig the Drumbrute that I tried today that thing is awesome!

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 05:44:08 am »
The BSP can act like a central brain to an extent, though due to it only being a 3 channel sequencer intended for two monsynths and a drum source, you will be limited if you want to sequence a polysynth.
I suggest downloading the manual and reading through it as a lot of what you need to know about the BSP will be in there.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

mihalw

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 08:32:23 pm »
I'm writing a bit late, but the topic is quite interesting. No one mentioned here Elektron's Digitakt, a very interesting sampler/sequencer with 8 polyphonic midi tracks for external devices, and "only" 3x the price of BSP. Despite the price difference the BSP still has a lot to offer and could supplement the Digitakt as a control surface with velocity sensitive pads, cv interface or simply as additional sequencer with its own tricks.

I would like to see more affordable synth/sequencer from Arturia (KickBrute? KickStep?) with
[1] 1-3 analog voices (kick,snare,hihat) with dedicated sequencer
[2] 1-3 additional polyphonic sequencers with individual standard 5-pin midi outputs
[3] unquantized recordings (like korg's flux mode)
[4] cc sequencing (stepped and smooth)
[5] extended randomness (independant for notes and cc values, per step settings etc.)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines