April 25, 2024, 01:34:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Control Mode - MIDI In LED Control  (Read 2546 times)

danielk

Control Mode - MIDI In LED Control
« on: July 27, 2017, 02:23:48 pm »
First of all - the BeatStep Pro is an amazing piece of hardware - i wish i could say the same about the software. But as i perceive it, some small but bad design decisions have been made regarding MIDI functionality in control mode.

Which brought me to this forum here, and hopefully the important people will get to read my request. :)

The "problem" is, that control mode, as it works now, is unusable for me, because it is impossible to trigger the LEDs of the pads via MIDI. So no visual feedback from any MIDI application is possible. I was hoping to be able to extend the BeatStep's functionality with own software (Max 4 Live Devices, etc.), but unfortunately this seems impossible right now. With a simple Note-In LED activation (sending the note assigned to a specific pad to the beatstep would make it light up) a whole new world of use cases for the BeatStep would arise.
The BeatStep (without the pro) has this functionality, and it would be absolutely amazing, if you could implement it here as well. It's just a small little thing, but it would make more than one user happy, i guess.

Daniel

dawitti

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • My personal/freelance website
Re: Control Mode - MIDI In LED Control
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 11:25:45 am »
I'm also trying to control the leds via midi without luck so far.

Interestingly this seems to work on the regular Beatstep.
And just as interesting I found (https://www.untergeek.de/2014/11/taming-arturias-beatstep-sysex-codes-for-programming-via-ipad) at least part of the midi sysex implementation that also seems to work for the beatstep pro.
I'm still figuring out the basics though.

I thought that if they're using the same (or very similar) sysex implementation, they might just as well support lighting up leds for incoming midi messages in control mode.

dawitti

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • My personal/freelance website
Re: Control Mode - MIDI In LED Control
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 11:20:39 am »
I asked the Arturia support and they said that it's not possible to light the leds via midi on the BSP and that they don't have (I assume the don't release) their midi implementation chart.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines