April 26, 2024, 12:45:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Using Accent as a modulator...  (Read 1779 times)

yeskeys

• Apprentice
Using Accent as a modulator...
« on: July 11, 2017, 10:38:04 pm »
I can't seem to get accented steps in the sequencer to actually affect anything when assigning it in the matrix.
For instance, I'll initialize a sequence, then tie one note to 16 steps.  I'll manually press the accent row in the sequencer at some random point.  In the matrix I assign Velocity to the filter I'm using and crank up the mod amount.  No audible perception of the filter opening when that step is played by the sequencer.

If I'm correct, the filter should open up some when the first accented step plays.

I'm using the latest firmware.  Am I missing something?

Also...does anyone know if the value of the accent - the amount - can be modified after it's recorded or assigned?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 10:40:10 pm by yeskeys »

yeskeys

• Apprentice
Re: Using Accent as a modulator...
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 10:52:48 pm »
A little more testing has confirmed that the accent row doesn't do anything unless there's a note-on event in the sequencer at the same step.

However, it seems like the amount of modulation for each accent is fixed, I can't get any variance when I step enter notes with successively more forceful velocity amounts.

Experimentation continues...

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 03:45:14 pm »
The sequencer has a fixed velocity for the accented notes and another velocity non-accented notes.

The accented notes always have velocity = 127. The non accented notes have a velocity = 64 if you use the Play button, and whatever velocity you hit the keys with if you use the keyboard to start the sequence.

Note that if you use Key Hold or legato, only the first velocity captured will be used for the non accented notes - you'll have to switch off Key Hold or let go of all notes to capture a new velocity value (also for the arpeggiator). This unfamiliar behaviour will hopefully be changed to provide velocity capture for the last played note, especially since according to Arturia it's supposed to work like it does for other synths:

"The key hold keeps the last note played properties:

- Note
- Velocity
..."
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 05:03:17 pm by DrJustice »

yeskeys

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 08:42:38 pm »
Thanks for the info.  That's a bummer and an issue that should be addressed.  A sequencer that doesn't record note velocity???

Have a great day!
Eric

BobTheDog

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 08:14:23 pm »
It does record velocity, if you play non legato notes then velocity is recorded, it's just the legato stuff it has a problem with.

Howard Scarr

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 12:27:48 pm »
That's the nature of MIDI note velocity, not a bug or an oversight ("issue to be addressed"). You can't have velocity without the note.

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 04:10:54 pm »
It's not "the nature of MIDI note velocity" to only have the values  or 64 and 127. Perhaps that's not what you meant (the velocity issue as discussed is not about legato)?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 04:12:54 pm by DrJustice »

Howard Scarr

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 03:46:35 pm »
Too hot in my under-the-roof studio to check whether Matrixbrute records legato notes correctly. Does it or doesn't it?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 03:51:38 pm by Howard Scarr »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines