March 29, 2024, 02:20:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Serious bug! TAP tempo doesn't work when playing an arpeggio or sequence!  (Read 1571 times)

robst247

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • RobSt247 on SoundCloud
This must be a bug!

I would expect repeatedly pressing the TAP button to change the tempo of the arpeggiator or sequencer. Surely, this is the main/only purpose of the TAP button.

However, when the arpeggiator is running, all the TAP button does is to mute notes for as long as it is pressed in. Who needs a MUTE button?

And when any sequence is playing any preset (i.e. green PLAY button and white TAP button are flashing at different rates), pressing the TAP button either:
(a) increases the sequence length (randomly?), or
(b) deletes steps that are playing at that time.

I can reproduce this effect every time, but I cannot change the tempo by tapping the TAP button.  ???

I am using the latest firmware revision (1.1.0.73).

This issue is referred to by other MatrixBrute users, for example:
Pressing tap tempo when the sequencer is running erases sequence data!
What's up with that?

Will this serious bug be fixed by the next firmware revision? When is it due?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 11:37:48 pm by robst247 »
Morpheus: "Nobody can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself."

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
The TAP button has one documented feature in addition to tap tempo. From the manual: "When step recording, the user can enter rests for each step by pressing the TAP button.". However, IIRC, since the real time step recording was introduced with 1.1.0.73, it will also erase/mute steps when in that mode (I'll have to check if that is actually an intended feature - it's not documented in the manual or the "secret" 1.1 firmware info page here: https://www.arturia.com/matrixbrute-firmware-update-11)

But yeah, it's bugged. And I agree that tap tempo should always be tap tempo, when the sequencer is running.

As for the finer points of this bug (which I think is related to the "loss of seq mod editing" -bug), I'm copying and pasting the following from elsewhere, so users are aware and we don't end up with many different and confusing reports of this ('cause it's hard and confusing to diagnose and describe things like this concisely...). It has been reported but not yet acknowledged:

There are two distinct bugged states that the sequencer can end up in for the Play/Edit mode (the default mode):

(a) The sequencer in edit/play mode will no longer be able to take a Tap Tempo. Instead, pressing TAP acts as it would in real time Record mode, in that it switches off the currently played step. The steps can be enabled again by pressing the Step buttons, and they will be switched off again as explained when the TAP button is pressed. This state persists when loading new presets/sequences.

(b) The sequencer in edit/play mode will no longer be able to take a Tap Tempo. Instead, for each press of the TAP button a pause will be added to the sequence and the sequence end point will be moved to make a 1 step longer sequence. The sequencer display shows "0%" when the TAP button is pressed. I.e. the sequence length grows for every press of TAP. When I set the end point by pressing SEQ Length and selecting a step, the sequence length is set as expected, but at the first press of TAP the sequence length gets set to what it was at the last press of TAP. This state persists even if I load a new preset, and a press of TAP will add to the length that was reached when playing the previous preset, until 64 steps is reached.

So, this bug, in state a and b, gives record mode -like behavior while being in the Play/Edit mode and NOT in the actual recording mode, and persists across preset loading.

State a can be triggered by holding the Record button down and then pressing the Play button (which will incidentally also enable Mod Amount editing per step, as it was before 1.1.0.73 - i.e. it triggers one bug and clears another). After that the Play/Edit mode is affected. State b takes some more Record/Play(?) button bashing to get into - I think you get there after being in state a.

This bug will right itself after a while. I don't know quite how yet, but it seems to require some sequencer button presses.

BobTheDog

I think for 1.1 they introduced the tap to delete as a shortcut but it never made it into the manual.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines