April 18, 2024, 11:02:23 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: sync 1step mode and drum time division  (Read 3206 times)

tdeoh

sync 1step mode and drum time division
« on: July 09, 2017, 05:10:56 pm »
Hello, this is my first post on this forum. I really like the beatstep pro, especially since the last update. However there is one thing bugging me. If I put sync mode into 1step (which is the required speed for my modular clock input) the drum sequencer time division can not be changed during playback. I think this is because time division of the drum sequencer and the clock output are somehow linked to each other if 1step is enabled. The other modes (22ppq, 48ppq and 2ppq) don't have this problem but I can not use them as my clock source because they are too fast.

Does anybody else have this problem?

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
Re: sync 1step mode and drum time division
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 10:11:34 am »
Hi tdeoh,
Yes this is normal. 1step = 1pps = 1 pulse per step whatever the time division is. So it will be different if you are in 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, and in triplets. Changing the time division while playing will cause your external device to not be in phase anymore, and it will seem un-synced. That's why it is forbidden. You need to change the time division while you are stopped.

Best,
Y.

tdeoh

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 02:02:02 pm »
I grec,

Thank you for your answer. Just for my understanding, why isn't this a problem in the other clock out modes? And why does it only occur in the drum section?

And for future updates it would be nice to have the clock input and clock output at different settings, if possible.

Best,
Nikos

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 03:10:06 pm »
why isn't this a problem in the other clock out modes?
Other modes are not step dependent, so they are not time division dependent. E.g: 24ppq is always 24 clocks by 1/4th note, 12 clocks by 1/8th note, 6 clocks by 1/16th note, 3 clocks by 1/32th note.
If you change the time division while playing, it does not affect the slaves (or if BSP is slave, it is not affected).
I you have a Master BSP set to "1step", 1/8th time division, at 120BPM, and you connect a slave BSP (slaved to clock din) to it with 1/4th time division, the slaved BSP will think the tempo is 240 BPM.

Why?
120 BPM is 120 Beat Per Minute. A beat is 1/4th note. A minute is 60 seconds. 120BPM = 120 x 1/4th in 60 seconds = 2 x 1/4th note in 1 second.
1/4th note = 2 x 1/8th note
So 120 BPM is 4 x 1/8th note in 1 second.

Your BSP Master will send 4 clocks in 1 second.
Your BSP Slave will receive then 4 clock in 1 second. As it is set to 1/4th, it will go 4 steps forward (1 clock = 1step in "1step" mode), like the Master. But as it is set to 1/4th (the master is set to 1/8th), it will think the tempo is twice as fast. I you change the Master time division in the middle of nowhere, the result will be kind of unpredictable and the two devices will be out of sync (out of phase) because the master cursor will jump to a new position in order to synced with SEQUENCER and SEQUENCER2.

And why does it only occur in the drum section?
1step mode is based on the drum section as the 3 sequencers may have a different time division setting.

Regards,
Y.

wot

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 01:25:56 pm »
Using 24tpqn into the modular and dividing the Midi Clock down can make more sense than driving the entire modular on 1tpqn.

ReidBecker

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 07:17:25 pm »
Hi....In my case I am dragging the loops from AD2 beats where it says "variant name". The loops drag in properly, right in time with the bar markers. I have no problem with the dragging function.
The problem is that if you use AD2 in sync play/stop mode, your recording will not be in time with the bar markers.

prototype pcb assembly
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 11:33:41 pm by ReidBecker »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines