April 27, 2024, 06:23:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Apologize Intro Minibrute Patch  (Read 2874 times)

keyboardaux98

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Apologize Intro Minibrute Patch
« on: July 09, 2017, 07:01:45 am »
Hi there. I've seen the keyboard player for OneRepublic use a MiniBrute synth to produce what seems like this beeping type of noise in the into to their hit song apologize during live shows. I've seen this happen in quite a lot of their videos for apologize. Heres a example in this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuBvkLRvK80 . I can't seem to get it to that sound. I just wanted to know the knob settings on the MiniBrute to produce that sound if anyone knows his settings of course or if someone can tell his settings some how. A picture might help too! I'm very new to synth programming and the Minibrute is my very first synth i bought!

Thanks!

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: Apologize Intro Minibrute Patch
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 10:02:15 am »
I like your username, very cool.

Sounds like an arpeggio using a fast envelope on a squarewave.  Try setting a simple envelope for the filter and amp; 0 for the attacks, a short decay with sustain on the filter about 3/4 and sustain on the amp close to the top and release set so that when you take your finger off the key it has a very short tail, but doesn't die instantly.  Put the Square wave to half way and turn off the pulse width modulators (env amt and lfo -> square wave).  Now set the Minibrute to arp mode and play a high register chord.  Listen to how it sounds as it runs through the note, it should be fairly close to what you are trying to achieve.  Tweak the envelopes and maybe add some sub osc (set to sine and 1) to give it a little more body if it's sounding weedy.

Hope this helps.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

keyboardaux98

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 05:52:51 pm »
I like your username, very cool.

Sounds like an arpeggio using a fast envelope on a squarewave.  Try setting a simple envelope for the filter and amp; 0 for the attacks, a short decay with sustain on the filter about 3/4 and sustain on the amp close to the top and release set so that when you take your finger off the key it has a very short tail, but doesn't die instantly.  Put the Square wave to half way and turn off the pulse width modulators (env amt and lfo -> square wave).  Now set the Minibrute to arp mode and play a high register chord.  Listen to how it sounds as it runs through the note, it should be fairly close to what you are trying to achieve.  Tweak the envelopes and maybe add some sub osc (set to sine and 1) to give it a little more body if it's sounding weedy.

Hope this helps.

Hmm almost!   ;D But It seems to have been doing this little clicking sound after every note during arp mode. Same thing when I manually play the notes. Any other settings I should adjust?

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 02:54:23 am »
I wrote that out yesterday from memory of what to do and missed the filter mode, cutoff and resonance settings completely!  But it sounds as though you are going well without them, although I will add that I followed my own instructions and set-up that patch with filter mode on band-pass, cutoff about 1/3 and resonance at about 3/4.  Very very little env amount and came close, so cool.  Maybe less resonance as it tends to accentuate the filter envelope and that will stop it from sounding like that piano-y type sound.

Try playing with the release times for the envelopes.  Set them to be about the same, then play with the filter release.  Notice it can create a clicking if it's a good deal shorter than the amp release?  Move the slider away from zero until you are happy with the sound.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

keyboardaux98

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 05:10:39 am »
I wrote that out yesterday from memory of what to do and missed the filter mode, cutoff and resonance settings completely!  But it sounds as though you are going well without them, although I will add that I followed my own instructions and set-up that patch with filter mode on band-pass, cutoff about 1/3 and resonance at about 3/4.  Very very little env amount and came close, so cool.  Maybe less resonance as it tends to accentuate the filter envelope and that will stop it from sounding like that piano-y type sound.

Try playing with the release times for the envelopes.  Set them to be about the same, then play with the filter release.  Notice it can create a clicking if it's a good deal shorter than the amp release?  Move the slider away from zero until you are happy with the sound.

Ok now I can't even get close to what I had it earlier... Any way you could take a picture of your settings? I might of touched something I don't remember where it was at haha. Sorry my knowledge in synthesizers is very limited hope that changes in the near future

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines