April 24, 2024, 01:48:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Logic Pro X and Beatstep Pro : MIDI multitrack recording problems  (Read 5740 times)

enoughstatic

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
[edit: 23 April 2020: no solution has yet been reported or found on this topic. I am still debugging this issue]

Okay, so I posted this same thread over a year ago and have not had one response, so I will try again with a new thread (sorry Admins and Users, I don't know how to bump a thread!)

My setup:
Macbook Pro (Seirra 10.12.5)
DAW is Logic Pro X (10.3.1)
USB cable connected from Macbook pro to Beatstep Pro as MIDI connection.
Beatstep Pro (later FW as of June 2017) being used as: real-time controller when recording new MIDI takes in Logic Pro; MIDI to CV/Gate converter for outboard analog Eurorack modules (see also photo attached)

[Logic Pro X shall be referred to as LPX, and Beatstep Pro shall be referred to as BSP)
Sequencer 1 on BSP set to MIDI ch 1
Drum Sequencer on BSP set to MIDI ch 10
Both of the above MIDI tracks in LPX also set to MIDI channels accordingly.

My objective:
To record / compose MIDI tracks, within the same song, but independently of each other (i.e. multiple takes, layering drums, then bass lines, then other synth parts, etc.), in LPX, but using the BSP as the controller in real-time to trigger those MIDI notes being recorded. Also, during playback, LPX transmits those recorded MIDI tracks so that the BSP can then convert and pass those CVs and Gates to my external instruments (Eurorack modular setup in this case).

My problem:
When I have a MIDI track already recorded in LPX (for example Drums on MIDI channel 10) that is playing back MIDI to the BSP (just fine), and at the same time I attempt to record a new MIDI track (for example Synthesizers on MIDI ch 1 using the BSP SEQ1 utilizing MIDI channel 1), I end up recording both the new real-time performance of the Synthesizer MIDI data and the MIDI data from the previously recorded track (from a different MIDI channel!).

I have searched Google, YouTube, MW forums, Arturia forums, FB group forums, Logic Pro forums, yet there seems to be enough people experiencing this problem and only some people report the solution(s) to be effective, while some of us are stuck.

I suspect this may have something to do with the MIDI Environment window of LPX, but there is not much helpful info in manuals for LPX on this subject.

Any help on this would be great. It might be something quite simple. Maybe not.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 10:35:25 pm by enoughstatic »

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
Re: Logic Pro X and Beatstep Pro : MIDI multitrack recording problems
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 10:57:13 am »
Hi enoughstatic,
Try this in LPX:
  • Go to Record tab (between "Navigate" and "Mix")
  • Click on Recording Settings
  • Activate "Auto demix by channel if multitrack recording"

Best,
Y.

enoughstatic

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 06:04:09 am »
Hi Y.

I should have mentioned that I already tried that. The only thing that I can imagine is that it has to do with LPX "Midi Environment", but even watching tutorials and reading manuals on it, I finally gave up and am transmitting on one MIDI channel, and receiving back on another. Which ends up being very tedious, but works.

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 10:36:18 am »
That strange, it works at my side.
I created several tracks on LPX with different MIDI channels. While recording, it only shows one track with all events mixed within it. When the record finishes, the events are dispatched to the right tracks. Try asking Apple about this problem... It seems to be a LPX issue.

Regards,
Y.

Edouard_Arturia

• Product Manager
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 04:19:46 pm »
Hey.

It's explained here in details:

https://www.arturia.com/faq/beatsteppro/beatstep-pro-tips-tricks

Check the Daw section > Logic Pro

Best Regards.

Edouard
DGDGDGDGDG

enoughstatic

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 10:26:23 pm »
Edouard,

I already found that article ( in my previous researching) and it basically says the same thing that much of the Internet indicates. However, that did not change anything whatsoever. So I'm still looking for a solution. But thanks anyway.

enoughstatic

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 10:29:29 pm »
That strange, it works at my side.
I created several tracks on LPX with different MIDI channels. While recording, it only shows one track with all events mixed within it. When the record finishes, the events are dispatched to the right tracks. Try asking Apple about this problem... It seems to be a LPX issue.

Regards,
Y.

That's interesting. I assumed that you would have separate MIDI tracks for separate MIDI channels. That's counterintuitive, but I will give that a shot when I get home tonight . If that is the solution, that would be fantastic.

To be clear, I was creating separate tracks in LPX for each instrument (or midi received data).  I didn't realize that you record it all onto one midi track,  similar to separating your drums, your guitars, your vocals, or any other instrument for that matter. Or am I not understanding this concept correctly?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 06:23:59 pm by enoughstatic »

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 11:01:49 am »
Hi enoughstatic,
Sorry, I did not really understand what you mean.
Have you managed to have it working?

Best,
Y.

enoughstatic

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 10:33:20 pm »
Hi I-grec,

No, I did not get this working. I have been busy working and am finally having time to work on this issue. That said, I really don't know where to go from here. I'm starting to think either I need to ditch Logic Pro, or just forget MIDI altogether, which seems like a very annoying defeat.

Anyone have a solution for this by now?

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 11:18:35 pm »
Hi have you tried my method here https://youtu.be/I12WB1jWB6c

Please also check the notes as i didn't ad the last bit at the end
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

enoughstatic

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2020, 12:21:15 am »
Hi have you tried my method here https://youtu.be/I12WB1jWB6c

Please also check the notes as i didn't ad the last bit at the end

Hi Terry,
Yes, I came across that video last night. That video addresses specifically "Software Instrument Tracks", not "External MIDI Tracks".
The External MIDI Tracks are nowhere to be found in the MIDI Environment. Not sure if this is a major SW bug, oversight, or I'm just not getting something.

BTW, I am using external MIDI instruments only. In this case, the Beatstep Pro as the three sequencers as intended (to control Eurorack modular synth setup).

Oh and yes, I have enabled "auto-demix" feature = no difference.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines