March 28, 2024, 10:47:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Abandoned?  (Read 3423 times)

jasonwann

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Abandoned?
« on: July 07, 2017, 08:15:42 am »
Has Spark 2 / SparkLE been abandoned? No updates for quite some time and many bugs still persist. Any news?

loboloco

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Abandoned?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 12:02:01 pm »
Seems very likely

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 01:24:11 pm »
Who knows, but I think possibly yes. Drumbrute is out and more than supersedes it. I think I posted sometime ago about how drumbrute is probably going to be the upgrade. (Caveat: Yes we've had the conversation about how it isn't the same thing) However, I think that's more the direction that arturia are going in.

If nothing else you have a very good midi controller at your fingertips. (presuming you have the original controller, which I do)

At the end of it all I think Spark was a hit and a miss all at the same time. But hey, what do I know :) It might be in the middle of a huge overhaul as we speak.

Many thanks, Stuart

Mac 10.7.5
2.3Ghz Quad Core 'Clovertown'
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Arturia Analog Laboratory 61
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Analog Laboratory
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 09:11:51 pm »
Hey guys,
On Facebook I had contact with someone from Arturia who said they were going to look into updating (read: bug fix) Spark 2. This after I repeatedly pointed out to them that they're still selling the SparkLE with the software, which they know is buggy. They said I had a good point and would look into it.
AS SUCH!
I created a thread in the General section (for higher visibility) as well as a post here to direct people TO that thread.
So far, it's not getting much response.
If Arturia doesn't know what problems we're experiencing, they won't know what to fix. Also, if they're not seeing much activity or interest is such bug fixes, they very well may abandon Spark 2 altogether.

Stuart, I totally disagree that DrumBrute supercedes Spark 2. Spark 2 is MUCH more flexible than the DrumBrute, because it can use any sample you want, as well as construct sounds using the Modular system in the software.

Here is the thread. PLEASE participate. Show Arturia there's still interest in this very cool product. Thanks! :D
https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=90964.0

(I also posted a link to that thread in the KVR forums, incidentally)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 09:13:29 pm by artao »
This space left intentionally blank.

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 09:24:40 pm »

Stuart, I totally disagree that DrumBrute supercedes Spark 2. Spark 2 is MUCH more flexible than the DrumBrute, because it can use any sample you want, as well as construct sounds using the Modular system in the software.

(I also posted a link to that thread in the KVR forums, incidentally)

Yep, you're allowed,  :) but as i said earlier (Caveat: Yes we've had the conversation about how it isn't the same thing)

My point being that the Drumbrute in my opinion is more the direction they wanted to be in, but the Spark came first. The idea has come full circle with the drumbrute. Yes, you're right, I't's kind of like the NI Maschine in a lot of ways.

Thanks, Stuart   
Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 10:02:12 pm »
the mixer and effects, as well as synth and sampling make spark 2 MUCH more than Drumbrute. Drumbrute isn't that impressive with just dry, stock sounds from the osc. Spark 2 would be totally boring without that stuff, but the 16 channel mixer is worth it. I would have to buy a console with a rack full of insert effects to do this with the drumbrute. Some of the effects are buggy, but some are perfect. I can't live without the tempo synced phaser now.

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 10:42:50 pm »
I suppose it depends on what you're after. It's just another tool for me but the Spark workflow has got so awkward that it's just not worth it for me anymore.

I do however just use it now and again and just record the left and right audio into a couple of inputs of the desk, it's good for little fills here and there.

Thanks, Stuart 
Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 11:55:36 pm »
Yeah. I can't disagree that the workflow is awkward.
Just a couple days ago I was making a techno loop for a Native Instruments contest (in which I won one of two runner up places \o/ WOOT) and was setting up a custom drum kit. I put THREE samples each on two different pads for bass drum.
Drag-n-drop sample onto pad. Go to Studio view, select new sample slot, go back to Main view, drag-n-drop new sample, go back to Studio view, select next slot, drag-n-drop next sample .... FORGET that the sampler defaults to velocity mode and wonder why the samples aren't layering right, go back to studio view and set them to "stacked" mode .... go to the Modular view and remove those stupid Bode filters that get auto added when you drag-n-drop samples
Yeah. Not really "flowing." .... it took me like 45 minutes just to set up the kit, with only 8 instruments :\
But STILL! it's very powerful software if you're willing to deal with the foibles. And since I invested in a Spark CDM controller (which i freakin LOVE) Spark is my go-to drum software.
DrumBrute is very awesome, but also quite limited sound-pallete wise. As all pure hardware drum machines are, of course.
Arturia sure seems to have been focusing HARD on hardware the last year or so tho. I hope that trend doesn't continue, cuz their soft-synths are quite awesome ....... tho i have yet to upgrade from my V4 collection, cuz I just don't feel the GUI and pre-set browser update are worth even the 10 bucks each they are when on sale. Aside from the Mini Moog, the sound engines are still exactly the same. PLUS they removed features I like, such as the Sound Map warp-and-mix functions. It boggles me that they removed that. Their "excuse" is that it never worked as they "intended." But I love using that feature to come up with new crazy sounds I'd have not done on my own. Then tweak from there. .... I've gotten some very inspirational sounds using that.
Also, I don't think the graphic updates look all that good on many of the synths :\

EDIT: OH!! Shameless self promotion here. Here's the track that won me a free NI synth. The drums are entirely Spark. ;) ... the rest of the sounds are entirely a Blocks setup I created in Reaktor. I friggen LOVE that software!!!
https://soundcloud.com/voxonitus/ni-techloop-1
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 12:00:52 am by artao »

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 12:05:50 am »
Yep, just too stifling. Sometimes I used to get away with it but then on an important job it would just cr*p out.

Don't get me wrong, it sounds great, the CDM controller is amazing and I do still use it, it's just lost out in my workflow in favour of battery.
As far as the modular thing goes, you can't touch reaktor in my opinion.

Thanks, Stuart   
Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 07:11:01 pm »
Hi All,

I have had some good news that Arturia are going to fix some bugs in Spark but there is no timescale set yet.

Terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 04:04:20 am »
Yep, too awesome. They finally heard our pleas  8) .... squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Edouard Arturia himself responded to the Bug Fix Requests compilation thread I started in the General forum. So you know they're taking it seriously now.  ;D

Here is that thread >> https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=90964.0

Papy ion

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 02:01:29 am »
Hello everybody

I do not see any interest in discussing whether Arturia is moving more towards the development of SparkLE or Drumbrute: if its employees (especially those in charge of research and development) are serious (i am sure that they are) , they must simply focus on putting on the market products that work!
Beyond questions about the qualities and equipment of machines that are not the same for each, it is an important point for the reputation of any company witch is the rate of satisfaction of its customers.
For example I have a Drumbrute who has qualities and limits that I know, but I love it for what it is! I do not ask him to do laundry or coffee! On the other hand, there was a problem with the sound generator of one of the tracks and I have to say that the post sell customer service has been quick and serious. Now that the Drumbrute works, I do not think I would take the risk of updating the firmware because when a thing works ... keep it as it is!

The SparkLE also has its limits even though it has assets that do not leave me as ice (not sure of the google translate translation at this moment  ;D ) . But who can clutter the forums by asking "I wish he could do this or that"?
And what is the interest we show to it when the pages of the forum are full of negative returns for certain problems.   ::)
WE JUST WANT A PRODUCT THAT DOES WHAT IT WAS SUPPOSED TO DO !!
In any case this is what, I think sincerely, should interest people who wish to maintain a good image of our favorite synthesizer manufacturer !!  :)

I do not see any benefit in building a reputation as a Ferrari builder who always stay the garage because of problems that are those of low cost cars.

And then if they want to know what to do, there is at the Arturia society at least one person if not more who is responsible for bringing back the information of the forum: it is even the official website of the brand !!! Not the facebook page of the random user who i am  ;D .

"Si le problème a une solution, il ne sert à rien de s?inquiéter. Mais s?il n?en a pas, alors s?inquiéter ne change rien."  >quoteman

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines