April 18, 2024, 05:03:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Using KeyStep with virtual synths and virtual/real drums  (Read 1848 times)

cerulean

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Using KeyStep with virtual synths and virtual/real drums
« on: July 07, 2017, 01:36:04 am »
I was curious if one could use the KeyStep with virtual synths, if one could have it produce sequences and arpeggios.   My aim was to use the KeyStep to allow virtual synths to follow sequences and arpeggios, as if they were a real analog synth.  And if it were possible, to have a real analog drum machine clock the KeyStep as one recorded the drum track at the same time as one recorded the sequences from the KeyStep.

I had a friend try it out and he got as far as getting the KeyStep, clocked by Ableton, to lay down sequences and arpeggios with the Ableton virtual synths. But it was just a single track, no drums.

My question is whether anyone has tried it with drums -- either virtual or drum machine. 

I'm curious whether anyone has tried laying down a drum and bass sequence with the KeyStep and gotten it to work.  I assume one can do it inside a DAW as he was clocking the KeyStep from his Mac.  That is, lay down the sequence at the same time you're recording virtual drums.  Will Ableton allow you to clock the KeyStep, record the sequence produced as a virtual synth, and record real drums as well? 

I only have Garageband at the moment -- will any of the above work with GB?

Thanks!

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: Using KeyStep with virtual synths and virtual/real drums
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 03:31:34 am »
The Keystep is only a single channel sequencer/arpeggiator.  It will only send notes and velocity with MIDI clock data from a sequence or arpeggio.  And only on the MIDI channel you have specified.  You can have it synchronised to a drum machine or a DAW running a drum sequence, but the Keystep will only run the one MIDI channel while keeping in time with what you have chosen as the master clock.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines