March 28, 2024, 11:46:10 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: CV Velocity Attenuation in Midi Control Centre?  (Read 7509 times)

Dapifer

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
CV Velocity Attenuation in Midi Control Centre?
« on: July 04, 2017, 02:34:50 pm »
Hi all, new to the forum. I have been searching for an answer to this but can't seem to find anything. I've just bought the BSP and I'd like to use the CV Velocity out to interact with some Moog Gear which takes 5v. I know for pitch and gate I'd need an attenuator but the FAQ's states that the CV Velocity can be attenuated in the Midi Control Centre. Unfortunately it gives no indication of how that is done, nor does the manual or the MCC manual. I noticed there is a bit which states Velocity scaling and gives values 1-10 but I'd like not to play a guessing game when it comes to frying my gear.

Can anyone help please?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 06:06:51 pm by Dapifer »

Valentin Arturia

• Administrator
Re: CV Velocity Attenuation is Midi Control Centre?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 03:23:49 pm »
Hi Dapifer,
Velocity Cv range could be attenuated with the MCC. You can find this parameter in Device Settings, Global section and it is named Seq1 (or Seq2) Velocity Scaling.
You can choose between 10 values from 1 to 10. 1 is min range, 10 is max range, no attenuation. When no attenuation (value = 10) velocity range is about 0-12V (0 for min velocity 01 and 12V for max velocity 127). So the 12V are divided by 127 values.
Max attenuation (value = 1) is 1/10e of max range so the output goes from 0V to about 1.5V. 1.5V is now divided by 127values.

You can approximate max output using this formula (ParamValue is your MCC setting) :
Max Output Voltage = 12 * ParamValue /10

Hope it helps !

Valentin

Dapifer

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: CV Velocity Attenuation is Midi Control Centre?
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 04:52:10 pm »
Thanks for the response. I think I get you, I thought it was the Velocity Scaling section but the thing that threw me was that it looks to be set at 1 by default and I'm currently sending successful vel modulation to my Make Noise 0 Coast which takes 12v. Am I safe to assume that what is displayed on the device settings is reflecting what is on the BSP? (The BSP shows as connected in the MCC but the Sync button in the MCC is blanked out, does it just auto sync?)

With my Moog Sub 37 and Moogerfoogers which take a maximum of 5v, does that then mean that I am safe to set the Vel scaling anywhere from 1-3?

Also for Pitch and Gate would I be safe to use a Koma Attenuator cable without any issues?

Thanks

Valentin Arturia

• Administrator
Re: CV Velocity Attenuation in Midi Control Centre?
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 10:58:38 am »
Hi,

Am I safe to assume that what is displayed on the device settings is reflecting what is on the BSP? (The BSP shows as connected in the MCC but the Sync button in the MCC is blanked out, does it just auto sync?)
To be sure the best is to set max velocity, press play and measure the output voltage. Otherwise after connecting your BSP to MCC change the Velocity scale value by hand. This way you can be sure that the setting is the one you select.

With my Moog Sub 37 and Moogerfoogers which take a maximum of 5v, does that then mean that I am safe to set the Vel scaling anywhere from 1-3?
Yes 1-3 setting will set max output between about 1V and 4V.

Also for Pitch and Gate would I be safe to use a Koma Attenuator cable without any issues?
I think yes but I can't be sure. I do not have one and it will depend on the cable attenuation setting. The best is to have a voltmeter.

Best
Valentin

Dapifer

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 11:05:45 am »
Yea, it wasn't syncing because I still had it in Midi Sync mode rather than USB  ::)

Got it now, thanks for your help.

paulskiogorki

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 04:21:42 am »
Hi there. I know a lot of time has passed in this thread but I have a follow up questions as I am dealing with similar issues. In your first post you say "I know for pitch and gate I'd need an attenuator". Did you solve this problem, and if so, how? What devices did you use as an attenuator?

Hi all, new to the forum. I have been searching for an answer to this but can't seem to find anything. I've just bought the BSP and I'd like to use the CV Velocity out to interact with some Moog Gear which takes 5v. I know for pitch and gate I'd need an attenuator but the FAQ's states that the CV Velocity can be attenuated in the Midi Control Centre. Unfortunately it gives no indication of how that is done, nor does the manual or the MCC manual. I noticed there is a bit which states Velocity scaling and gives values 1-10 but I'd like not to play a guessing game when it comes to frying my gear.

Can anyone help please?

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines