March 29, 2024, 08:36:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Duo-Split mode - improved separation between parts  (Read 2555 times)

PES

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Duo-Split mode - improved separation between parts
« on: July 03, 2017, 08:05:55 pm »
Duo-Split - best thing ever - but could be improved even further:

1: The keyboard should be able to transmit each part on different MIDI channels when in this mode (mirroring the channels chosen in the Midi Control Center).

You could then control an external monosynth from just one of the parts and use is as an extra oscillator using audio in. Currently both the upper and lower part will trigger that synth.

2: It seems like Glide is meant to only affect the lower part. But when you choose Legato Glide, the upper part interacts with the lower, meaning that if you first trigger an upper note and hold that while triggering a lower note, that lower note will glide. The lower note should only glide if two lower notes overlap, and not when an upper and lower note overlap like this.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 08:07:28 pm by PES »

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
Re: Duo-Split mode - improved separation between parts
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 10:10:59 pm »
Three cheers for Duo Split!  ;D

I found that the reception works with the separate lower part channel, which makes each part playable over the full range from MIDI. I agree that the lower part channel should work for transmit too.

Glide used to work for the upper part, but moved to the lower part with the latest firmware. I think it's a mistake, and I'm lobbying for bringing glide back to the upper part where it belongs naturally. Several people have noticed this, so I hope it has a chance of making it in soon.

PES

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 11:49:35 pm »
One argument for glide on the lower part, is that you can use the pitch wheel to slide freely on the upper part (while sustaining the lower part). I quite like being able to play legato glide on a low bass on the left hand (if it weren't for the unwanted interaction with the upper part). But both ways have their merit, so maybe having the choice between them in the Midi Command Center could be a way to make us all happy. :)

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 12:02:06 am »
Yes, an option would be ideal. I've made the feature suggestion of selectable glide for either or both parts.

tp

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 03:54:02 pm »
Seconding the request for two MIDI out channels in Duo/Split mode!

kingworm

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 05:31:17 pm »
I have also wanted separate output channels in duo split and I have contacted support about the issue. It seems that it was intended, but not implemented. Though, it doesn't look to be a priority. Would be really cool since the Matrixbrutes only downside to people is the lack of polyphony. Doing this can allow people to gain that polyphony with an external device, even route it to one of the filters in the MB, and be able to control each function in the sequencer while at the same time using an external module.

I use mine in a live band setting and this would be a total game changer for us. I have already done this somewhat with a midi router from analogue solutions and another midi power device, but now I have 3 midi cables and two midi boxes layering around all the time just for this purpose. Kind of a hassle! I essentially have filtered out all data below middle C to not send any note data, then route everything above middle C to another channel. This has allowed me to play pads and stuff while using my MB for patches, bass, or for the sequencer. Not ideal but it works!

hogohogo

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 12:10:18 am »
I also like to second different MIDI out channels for upper and lower part.
I just realized its not possible.
I tried to get my Eurorack to play on the same base notes as the lower parts. As VCO3 is fixed to the lower part and has no CV out, the only way to achieve this would be using MIDI.
Shouldn't be a big issue to realize with the next firmware, or is it?

JohnsHead

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 09:19:57 pm »
I also like to second different MIDI out channels for upper and lower part.

+1 Yes please.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines