March 28, 2024, 11:49:30 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: can I output minibrute signal through this or similar arpeggiator?  (Read 2181 times)

ccristoo

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice

Hi I love the minibrute but I was thinking of outputting its signal through an arpeggiator like this:

http://www.analoguehaven.com/bluelantern/cvarpeggiatorv3/

Is it possible?

Or does anyone have other recommendations about external arp modules that the minibrute signal may pass through?

What kind of cables might I need?

Thanks for your time.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: can I output minibrute signal through this or similar arpeggiator?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 02:31:26 am »
That is a CV arpeggiator, you send the CV outputs on it to synths (and other things).  You don't send an audio signal to it, only a clock signal.  The other thing about that is it's a Eurorack module.  It won't work as a stand-alone device, it requires a housing and power supply, both of which are rather expensive.  Eurorack cases with power sell for twice the cost of that arpeggiator module if it has a decent companies name on it.

If you do fork out for the enclosure, psu and module, you can plug the note CV output from it into your Minibrute pitch CV input and see what happens.  It might work, or it might be running on weird CV's that won't run anything not made by Blue Lantern.  You will probably need a clock source.  I don't know.  Modulars are horribly expensive to get started in, so I only have limited knowledge of that world.  What I do know is one of the reasons MIDI was developed was to get around a bunch of non-compatible CV standards being used at the end of the 70's that meant nobody's synths would ever work 100% with others, if they did at all.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

ccristoo

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 10:26:37 am »
Thanks for your feedback. I guess I was imagining using the arp as an effects pedal of some sort. I like the mini brute but I want to manipulate another layer of arpeggiation. I'm trying to get another sound. Maybe something similar to this sound at around the 40 second mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfX_Wf6oKQQ Maybe I haven't been trying hard enough but I've put in some hours.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 06:34:59 am »
The arp on the Minibrute should be able to do that.  The part you are looking to replicate may have been programmed with sequencer, but it is possible to do on an arpeggiator that follows the order the notes were played, as the Minibrute can do.

To do so set your Minibrute to Arp Hold.  Play the first note of your arp and keep it pressed down.  Now with the first note still depressed play the rest of the notes in the order you want them cycled through.  If any of the note are the same as the first, play the preceding note and keep it held down while you release the first note and play it again.  As long as you hold down one note you can add others to the arp (until a certain number of notes, but that I can't remember).  You can even play two or more of the same note in a row as long as you hold down one other note from the arp, BUT, you won't be able to do that with the first note as you need to hold down that key to ensure that it records your note run.

If you do the above in arp hold mode, you can take your hands of the keyboard while the arp plays automatically and tweak your dials sliders for all the cool filter sweeping and envelope freaking effects that the masked one loves.

You can achieve the same in regular Arp On mode, but as soon as you take your finger off a note, it will be removed from the arpeggio.

I hope this is clear enough to follow and good luck!
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

ccristoo

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 11:37:49 am »
Thanks heaps for taking the time with that advice. Gives me insight into what i bought. :)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines