March 29, 2024, 02:17:32 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Sequencer Ratcheting  (Read 4941 times)

TheAndyMac

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Sequencer Ratcheting
« on: February 24, 2017, 01:57:04 pm »
Really would like to have (easy) ratcheting feature in Modular V. Either through additional modules (to keep it "pure", i.e. Modules 961/962 which from what I have read allow this to be created) or by adding features to the sequencer, something like features in ST-S01 (for iPad) http://www.schosoft.com/styled-18/styled-22/
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 01:59:12 pm by TheAndyMac »

hermitnerd

• Paul Schilling
    • Soundcloud page with synth demos
Re: Sequencer Ratcheting
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 09:03:28 pm »
Really would like to have (easy) ratcheting feature in Modular V. Either through additional modules (to keep it "pure", i.e. Modules 961/962 which from what I have read allow this to be created) or by adding features to the sequencer, something like features in ST-S01 (for iPad) http://www.schosoft.com/styled-18/styled-22/

Yes we really need a 961 module, so that we can combine triggers. Not being able to combine multiple trigger signals into a single trigger signal, is a huge omission and makes many things in Modular V much harder than they need to be.

LBH

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 11:27:07 pm »
Yes.

I would just like the things that was possible with Moog Modular if it's using the modules 960, 961, 962, 963 and/ or others.
There are some videos from the Synthesizers.coms under those modules here: http://www.synthesizers.com/tutorials.html (Scroll down the page to find the videos.)

Synthesizers.coms version is very close to the original i understand. The things shown in the videos i would like to be able to do in Modular V no matter how this can be implemented. As i see it then Modular Vs sequencer allready have some sort of version of some of the features from the other modules.

If not creating all the modules, then i have posted some suggestions here: http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=87924.0

Many have posted about wanting ratcheting both in the new and in the old Modular forums.

hermitnerd

• Paul Schilling
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 03:59:15 pm »
I have not found a really easy and effective way to do racheting. I was able to get some form of racheting by setting the sequencer and one of the LFOs to MIDI sync, setting the LFO to maybe 8X the seq speed and then using the LFO as a trigger source for an envelope which in turn mods a filter and VCA. Another envelope is then triggered by either keyboard or one of the seq steps and plays the racheting sound only at certain times. It's a bit convoluted, and never 100% accurate because there is no way to reset the LFOs phase via some trigger.

hermitnerd

• Paul Schilling
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 06:29:15 pm »
If you want to see / hear two examples, in the new "Tangerine Tribute" sound pack I have two patches with ratcheting:

Diamond Diary
and
Church Theme Seq

Diamond Diary also has interesting Mod Wheel patching, where when turning up the mod wheel, the balance and tone color difference between the ratcheting and the main sequence changes, giving it even more dynamism.

LBH

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 07:32:20 pm »
If you want to see / hear two examples, in the new "Tangerine Tribute" sound pack I have two patches with ratcheting:

Diamond Diary
and
Church Theme Seq

Diamond Diary also has interesting Mod Wheel patching, where when turning up the mod wheel, the balance and tone color difference between the ratcheting and the main sequence changes, giving it even more dynamism.
Hi hermitnerd,

As a tribute to you for your sounds in generel i have bought your Tangerine Dream and the Kraftwerk soundpacks.
It's well done and one really get the the felling of Tangerine Dream and Kraftwerk.

The way you patch in your Modular V sequences has for example got me thinking more about the usage of the sequencer outputs and the VCA modulation. It really make many things possible using the features like this.
I can recommend to study this usage. I have learned some things that can be used to make advanced sequences by studying your patches.

As i see it then the new LFO retriggers can benefit ratcheting in Modular V and make it even more true.

I have posted some more feature requests regarding trigger delay, VCOs and envelopes that i think also can make ratchetting like things even better in Modular V. But it's still not the sequencers steps that directly are modulated.

The things i have suggested for the sequencer i for example think will simulate ratcheting in an easier and more correct way. Any feature to directly modulate the sequencers steps to fill in notes in a controlled manor i think would be true ratcheting and easier to use.

Thanks for creating the Tangerine Dream and Kraftwerk soundpacks. As said - the sounds can also be educational beside being used as they are.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines