March 28, 2024, 09:42:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Pitch Bend does not work for notes held by sustain pedal  (Read 2750 times)

jeffbart

Pitch Bend does not work for notes held by sustain pedal
« on: June 11, 2017, 09:58:55 am »
I've never noticed this before. Is there some setting I am not using correctly?
Notes held by the sustain pedal are not affected by the pitch bend controller, despite the 'ribbon' displaying the bend amount.

Pick a sound that uses pitch bend and the sustain pedal (cc64)
Hit a key. Hold with pedal. Release key. Use pitch bend.

Cheers Jeff
--
jeffrey
cubase 9.0.40
the amazing Modartt Pianoteq
Arturia things
tc electronic konnekt 24d

LBH

Re: Pitch Bend does not work for notes held by sustain pedal
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 02:57:47 pm »
If you set the Sustain Mode to Retrigger instead of Normal, then it will work.

But as it's a pedal setting i find there may be a bug, as the Sustain Mode also seems to need to be set to Retrigger to have the pitchbend/ ribbon to work on notes that's in envelope release phase.
And i don't see why the Sustain Mode setting should have an impact on pitch bend/ ribbon.
But i don't know how the original CS-80 worked.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 03:16:51 pm by LBH »

LBH

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 06:07:55 pm »
In the original manual you can read this:
"When CS-80 is in Sustain I mode, the ribbon only changes the pitch while you are holding down a key. In Sustain II mode, the ribbon will also change the pitch during sustain (after you let go of the keys).

So i think Arturias CS-80 work correct in this.

jeffbart

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 01:53:39 am »
IF this is not a bug but is an original feature then I would hope it gets altered as a feature request. Perhaps this was done this way due to the limitations of the hardware at the time. It's rotten for quick playing where you are using pitch bend and sustain, because it can lead to unwanted out of tune notes 'stuck' because the pitch bend resetting to zero is blocked when the finger releases the key.

jb

« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 02:30:25 am by jeffbart »
--
jeffrey
cubase 9.0.40
the amazing Modartt Pianoteq
Arturia things
tc electronic konnekt 24d

LBH

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 02:48:50 pm »
There are advantages with the excisting possibilities, that i wan't to keep. As it is it's possible to have wanted single notes hanging with there own individual/ seperate pitch bend.
Like if you in Normal sustain mode can play one note and add a picthbend amount while the key is down, and then hold the note with the pedal, then press another key and give that note another pitchbend amount differnt from the first note - and so on.

But i don't mind more options either.
The fact that the Retrigger need to be on to have even the same pitchbend amount for all notes was why i thought there might was a bug in this.
But a mode where the pitchbend work when notes is held has to give all notes played the same amount of pitchbend, unlike the quite artistic possibility i describe above.

The CS-80 Retrigger in it self actually works like i exspected Matrix 12 envelope reset to work but don't at the moment. It provide the polyphonic playmode possibility to have all notes in it's release phase to be cut off when triggering one or more other notes. That can be very useful when using sounds with long release.
I have posted about that here: https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=90859.msg141358#new

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines