March 28, 2024, 08:14:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Choosing MIDI notes for drum sequencer?  (Read 6391 times)

jshipp

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Choosing MIDI notes for drum sequencer?
« on: June 05, 2017, 10:49:33 pm »
Hi All-

Enjoying my BSP, but hoping I can resolve the following:

I don't have a cv drum module, was hoping I could use that section with my Bastl MicroGranny, which is monophonic, and which I'm not looking to do 'pitched' stuff with as much as I am just hoping to trigger different samples. 

The six sounds available in any given Microgranny preset are triggered with the 6 lowest notes MIDI can send; when I use it on a melodic sequencer, I have to transpose down two octaves to get the notes C-2, C#-2, D-2, D#-2, E-2, and F-2.

So far I haven't found a way to map the drum sequencer's pads to those notes in the MIDI control center, as 0 is the lowest available value for MIDI notes going to drum pads.  Is there something I'm missing?

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
Re: Choosing MIDI notes for drum sequencer?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 11:17:12 pm »
Hi, i just checked in the control section of the mcc and i can go as low as -c2 .  I am on a beta test with the BSP so not sure if its changed as its not on my list of updates and fixes.
did you check the drum pads in the bsp mcc controls. if this is the case it will be in the next FW.

Terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

ben arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 03:34:16 pm »
In next FW you'll be able to choose midi channel and Midi note fo each drum instr.
Best
Ben
.......testing.......

jshipp

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 05:46:35 pm »
Well, as promised, I can now choose the midi notes of the drum pads in the new FW update.

What I still can't find a way to do is PLAY notes below C0 on the pads. Not through MIDI or CV. Even on a melodic sequencer, if I wanna play C-2 (or any negative-valued note) there's no way to do it using BSP as a controller; I have to hand-crank each step down there after octave-dropping the whole sequencer.

This means I can't play and/or live sequence the lowest octave of my 0 Coast OR play the six different samples on my Bastl MicroGranny (which are defaulted to C-2, C# -2, D-2, etc) on the pads. Is there some fix for this in the MIDI control center that I'm not seeing? Redefining the lowest note value for CV has had no effect, and you can't enter negative numbers into the custom drum pad layout.  Please help?

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 06:01:45 pm »
Hi jshipp,
The MIDI notes notation depends on manufacturers. Have a look at this link:
http://www.electronics.dit.ie/staff/tscarff/Music_technology/midi/midi_note_numbers_for_octaves.htm

The lowest note in BSP (called 0 for Drum Sequencer Map) should correspond to your Bastl MicroGranny C-2.

Best,
Y.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 06:15:31 pm by I grec »

syrupcore

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 11:47:32 pm »
It's really kind of amazing how well and how long the MIDI standard has worked. It's shame the note-number/note-name thing was never standardized. This MIDI Note Name vs MIDI Note Number mess has been around since forever. The semi-standard for the human readable version I'd like to see is either Note Letter + Note Number. So

C - 36
C# - 37

where the note names just repeat without reference to 'where'

--or--

always include the note number when displaying the note name, just to keep it clear as possible what this particular manufacture means by "C2":

C2-36
C#2-37

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 10:10:06 am »
Hi syrupcore,
I think it is a good idea to do like you suggest.

Y.

erstlaub

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 10:20:09 am »
So I just picked up a Microgranny. Sure the way it handles midi is a little unconventional but after a wee bit of head scratching and trial and error I've got the BSP Drum sequencer happily farting out blips and grumbles from it.

In Midi Control Centre you basically just need to go to the device settings and in the custom drum map set pad 1 to 0, pad 2 to 1, and so on and you can easily get your 6 Microgranny samples playing away.

Obviously it negates the ability to use the pitched or sliced features but I found it much easier than fighting with one of BSP's pitch sequencers (and taking one up for drum based duties).

Pro tip. Remember that one of the updates let us set the length of events in the drum sequencer to 'tie' which is idea for making longer, more pleasing sample hits.

Hope this is handy to some, I dug around for info prior to getting the MG and didn't find much so figured this morning's findings worth sharing.

al16bit

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 12:04:54 am »
i have my microgranny setup the same way with a durm machine but having a lot of problems with the beatstep. are you experiencing any issues at all?

charonme

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2021, 10:13:19 am »
In next FW you'll be able to choose midi channel and Midi note fo each drum instr.

I have the latest BSP FW (2.0.1.6) and latest MCC (1.13.0.75 Jan14 2021) but I don't see a way of assigning midi notes to drum pads, how do I do this?

never mind, I found the solution here: https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=247486
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 10:16:29 am by charonme »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines