April 27, 2024, 01:59:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Can Beatstep work as middle man to run full song midi sequences to other devices  (Read 2294 times)

James

Hello!  I need help seeing if the BeatStep Pro can do these things:

I'm looking for a midi sequencer, one that can:

A. Store multiple separate midi sequences

B. Have a midi sequence triggered by incoming single midi notes (ie. A hit from a Roland SPD-SX pad.  C0=first sequence, D0=second sequence...etc)

C. Midi out (ie. Hitting the Roland pad triggers the midi sequence start in the BeatStep, which then feeds those notes to a bass synthesizer)

*** how long are those sequences?  Can I record a 3-5 minute song on it, or is it only 16 beats?

It looks like perhaps the BeatStep Pro might be able to accomplish this...can it?  And if so, can the regular BeatStep do this same job?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 05:47:12 pm by James »

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
W
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 10:05:24 am »
Hi James,
A. Store multiple separate midi sequences
Yes.

B. Have a midi sequence triggered by incoming single midi notes (ie. A hit from a Roland SPD-SX pad.  C0=first sequence, D0=second sequence...etc)
No. Like a DAW, the 3 tracks (sequencers) must play together.
However, you can send Program Changes to select your pattern. For instance, you select an empty pattern (it will be like nothing is playing) and when you want, you can trigger a new pattern to be played by sending a MIDI Program Change.

C. Midi out (ie. Hitting the Roland pad triggers the midi sequence start in the BeatStep, which then feeds those notes to a bass synthesizer)
Yes.

*** how long are those sequences?  Can I record a 3-5 minute song on it, or is it only 16 beats?
64 steps maximum/pattern. A step can be 1/4th, 1/4th triplets, 1/8th, 1/8th triplets, 1/16th, 1/16th triplets, 1/32nd or 1/32nd triplets.
Then you can chain up to 16 patterns. It will loop endlessly.
The time in minutes/seconds of a pattern or chain will depend on your BPM.

It looks like perhaps the BeatStep Pro might be able to accomplish this...can it?  And if so, can the regular BeatStep do this same job?
The BeatStep 1 does nor recognize Program changes and it does not allow to create chains. Moreover, it can only plays 1 pattern at a time.

Regards,
Y.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines