April 24, 2024, 12:14:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Suggestions on stacking second keyboard above Keylab 88  (Read 1440 times)

Eric Barker

• Progrock/metal Keyboards & Sound Design
Suggestions on stacking second keyboard above Keylab 88
« on: May 23, 2017, 03:32:05 am »
So sometime in the next year or so I'd like to get a second controller board to go over my keylab 88. Probably a Seaboard, maybe just a second 61key Keylab, I haven't decided yet. But I'm not sure how I would do that with my 13" laptop sitting on the Keylab's laptop tray. I could always mount the Keylab on top, but that seems kinda awkward and potentially tippy, since being weighted, it would be the far heavier board. I currently gig with an QuikLok Z-stand (I HATE X stands). I used to use an QuikLok laptop tray before I got the Keylab, but now I use it for a small Korg vocoder and mic. That will likely go away if I get a second board.

Any ideas? What do you guys do when using a Keylab88 racked with a second board?

jblongz

• Multi-Engineer
    • JBlongz YouTube
Re: Suggestions on stacking second keyboard above Keylab 88
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 02:56:32 pm »
First, it's interesting to see that you have both of my names.  :o

I have an Ultimate Support APEX AX-48 Pro which is compatible with their HYM-100QR laptop mount.  Much easier to see everything during a gig. The seaboard is an interesting idea if you like the feel of the keys. I played with it at the Apple Store, but wasn't convinced to buy, especially due to horrible Bluetooth latency. I haven't tried a USB configuration yet.
MacBook Pro M1 MacOS13 16GB | Asus ProArt i7 12700H 64GB
V9 Collection | Live 11 | Logic X | Maschine MK3 | Cubase 12 | Bitwig 5

Eric Barker

• Progrock/metal Keyboards & Sound Design
Re: Suggestions on stacking second keyboard above Keylab 88
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 09:12:08 pm »
I used to use a similar QuikLok laptop tray with my Z stand, but I fell in love with the low profile of the Keylab tray. I try to keep the laptop as invisible and out of sight as I can, and trays really stick up. But there might not be any better option. I've eyeballed the APEX stand before, but if I remember correctly, they used to be like $400 back when I was buying my last stand. I really like the Z stand for the legroom it provides for pedals and controllers (I swear I have more stuff at my feet every week). 3 pedals, a trumpet, a Wii Remote (don't ask), and assorted props like hats and an old telephone.

As for the Seaboard, I've never gotten a chance to try one, as I don't think any store in my area (Honolulu) has any. I've been to all music stores and Apple Stores and never seen one. I have heard that the keys take some getting used to. I view it as a different kind of instrument that I would need to practice on to get comfortable with. But it really looks like it suits my type of playing, as I'm a big progrock/jazzrock lead guy, and I'd love the immediate control it would afford. I'd put in the hours to get good at it.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines