March 29, 2024, 08:32:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Slope/ delay for punch.  (Read 3070 times)

LBH

Slope/ delay for punch.
« on: May 23, 2017, 02:53:15 am »
I have read somewhere about punch in a sound. In a test it look like that what we feel as punch perhaps has to do with the minimoog for example had a 2 ms slope or delay  before the decay kicked in.
I suggest to add a slope/ delay option. It don't have to be a variable slope. It can be set as a fixed 2 ms slope/ delay between the attack and before the decay kick in when the option is chosen.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 03:09:23 am by LBH »

LBH

Re: Slope/ delay for punch.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 04:53:22 pm »
I found this blog article: http://blog.cakewalk.com/punch-with-synths/
This article actually talk about a 20-30 ms sustain at full level before the decay kick in. Perhaps i remembered wrong about the time period. I have read it somewhere else. But perhaps a variable feature for to set this time would be best to have. I suggest so.

gregwalton42

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 11:18:00 pm »
Great suggestion. I built a synth back in the 70s where I used an Attack pot with a switch when you turned it fully anticlockwise. I used the switch to set the attack time to very short (about 1ms) and put in about a 10ms hold at 100% before going into the decay. It did give it more punch. I remember messing around with monostables for a while to add it into an ADSR design I got from somewhere else.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 03:39:15 pm »
Thanks for your comments gregwalton. Great story about your exsperience with something like this.

If Arturia know the real hardware Minimoogs time period at max level before the Decay kick in - and it was the same on all Minimoogs, then it could also be an argument to have a fixed time value at max level before the Decay phase begin. In fact it would make Mini V a more true emulation in the area that really counts for an emulation - the sound.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines