April 26, 2024, 12:40:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Switching Key Hold off silences currently played notes  (Read 2916 times)

Howard Scarr

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Switching Key Hold off silences currently played notes
« on: May 20, 2017, 06:23:36 pm »
Obviously, played notes shouldn't be cut off like that. This behaviour is especially off-putting if you use a sustain pedal.

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
Re: Switching Key Hold off silences currently played notes
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 10:30:19 pm »
Good catch Howard. Seems we're having a bug hunting weekend  :D

I just tested this and the behaviour is almost random in some cases:

1 - in Duo Split mode it will sometimes cut off the upper part notes you hold as well as the lower ones (key hold isn't normally applied top the upper part), and some times it will not cause the lower note to stop even when no keys are held down.
 2 - In Paraphonic mode, it will some times cut off the notes, some times not.
 3 - Monophonic mode it seems to work.
 4 - When the arpeggiator or sequencer is used, it seems to consistently cut off held notes in all key modes.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 10:55:09 pm by DrJustice »

Eldon T

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 07:31:58 pm »
Any news or feedback about this problem ? I'm new to Matrixbrute and it was the 1st strange thing I've found, very anoying, don't know if it's by design or a bug

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 08:25:50 pm »
It's a confirmed and registered bug. I assume it'll be fixed with a firmware update.

fede bts

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 09:57:06 am »
It's a confirmed and registered bug. I assume it'll be fixed with a firmware update.
Hi DrJustice, are you sending support tickets to Arturia? They suggested to send one ticket per bug / feature request. I think that your contribution would probably be the most useful here, since you have been studying the matrix quite a lot! ;D

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 02:05:34 pm »
 :D Hah, well... Yes, this one is in their bug-tracker now.

rens

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 07:12:01 am »
I find this among the most disruptive bug out there because it keeps me from using the MB as a midi controller for other modules.  Ive added my voice to the bug report...but from the above discussion it seems some people have workarounds?

So the reason im reviving this old thread: does anyone have a panel setting at which the annoying hold key/pedal cuts off held notes behavior does not manifest itself? I could live with that by turning off the output when i want to use the (very nice and right by my right hand!) mb keyboard to play other modules.

Any advice much appreciated. 

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 01:06:39 pm »
I find this among the most disruptive bug out there because it keeps me from using the MB as a midi controller for other modules.  Ive added my voice to the bug report...but from the above discussion it seems some people have workarounds?
There are no workarounds unfortunately. There are also a few other bugs related to Key Hold which makes it unusable in some situations.

(Perhaps I'll post the complete Key Hold case here later, so others can submit tickets to support a complete "repair" of Key Hold)

rens

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 12:05:44 am »
That would be great. Ive seen weirdness with notes stuck on, etc. 

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 02:27:56 pm »
Here are the three tickets I've submitted regarding Key Hold:

-1-

Key Hold On state not saved with patch if Sequencer is On

If Sequencer is on and Key Hold is on and the patch is saved, then when recalling the patch Key Hold is off. I.e. the Key Hold On state is not saved in this case.

(Could be the case if Arpeggiator is on too, since it affects other behavioural aspects of Key Hold just like Sequencer does - I didn’t test that and have just switched off my rig, so I’ll have to do that later)

Edit: It is possible to get the Key Hold on state saved, but it requires a certain sequence of pressing the Sequencer and Key Hold button. I’m not 100% sure about the pattern yet, but starting from an init patch, recording some notes, pressing Key Hold, then pressing Sequencer, then pressing Key Hold again and finally saving the sound seems to retain the Key Hold on state. Most other sequences of Sequencer and Key Hold presses will cause the Key Hold on state to not be saved. I.e. you need this/a clean and controlled sequence of presses that’s not likely to happen in a real life situation where buttons are pressed several times in random’ish sequences while making the sequence/patch, hence in most cases I’ve tried the on state isn’t saved.

BTW, I also found that so far it does not happen with the Arpeggiator.

Additional info:

I just discovered the following in of the test patches that I saved while testing for this bug, where the Key Hold is saved in the On state and with sequencer enabled and containing a few notes - this happens when the patch is selected and I go straight to pressing a key:

1 - The sequence starts playing with the Gate time is at its maximum, 99%, even though the patch was saved with a shorter gate (probably the default 50%). When turning the Gate knob, the gate time remains locked at its maximum.

2 - If I then press Play to stop the sequencer, the last played note will be held. If I switch Key Hold off, the note is still held. If I then switch Sequencer off, the Key Hold gets switched On “by itself” and the note is still held. Finally, if I now switch Key Hold off, the sound stops.

3 - After going through the sequence of actions in point 2, everything works as it should again. Key hold will function as expected and the Gate time is 50% and can be changed.

It seems like the Gate locked at maximum bug is related to, or part of, the saved Key Hold bug.

-2-

Velocity capture for key hold and arpeggiator

(forum thread: https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=90436.msg139628)

Capture of new velocities when Key Hold is on. Currently the first velocity captured is used for all subsequent notes.
Capture of velocity for each key when using the arpeggiator. Currently the first velocity captured is used for all keys, unlike my other synths.

Lack of velocity capture for last/individual notes is a bug - Arturia's description of intended functionality:

"The key hold keeps the last note played properties:

- Note
- Velocity
..."

-3-

When the sequencer is running, pressing key hold will immediately transpose the sequence to whichever key was last pressed - this can be quite unexpected and 'random'

The expected behaviour for this type of feature is to capture the first key pressed after it has been switched on.

endreola

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 01:58:48 pm »
Good stuff DrJ.

This may have already been identified, so I apologize for the repeat.  Another instance where Hold cuts off notes is while using sustain pedal.  The pedal helps to play multple keys that extend beyond hands reach.  For example, I want an arpeggiating patch to play multiple notes across multiple octaves.  The Sutain pedal frees my hands to add notes and to twist knobs.  But if I want to play along-side on another board then I should be able to press Hold to keep the pattern running.  Unfortunately all notes get cut off even if the pedal is depressed.

I had not opened a ticket regarding this.  But I will if no one else had already done so.

Cheers   

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 02:31:57 pm »
I've not tested with a sustain pedal and haven't seen it reported before, so that one is new to me. I agree that the expected functionality should be to not have any notes cut off when using Key Hold and Sustain.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines