March 28, 2024, 10:41:28 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: New sound engine  (Read 3010 times)

masi

New sound engine
« on: May 26, 2016, 08:22:27 pm »
Can anyone tell me please in what way the new sound engine is better? Does it use less CPU cycles?

I'm wondering because for me the UI isn't worth the money for the upgrade (though I happen to like it). The vague term "improved sound engine" doesn't sound very convincing too me either.

Masi

masi

Re: New sound engine
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 05:54:12 pm »
If I do the math than V5 has about 1/3 more instruments than V4. Yet the upgrade prize is 1/2 of the full price. As the changed UI is IMHO only a goodie but not worth the extra price I wonder if the sound engine makes up for it.

Masi

guyri

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 08:19:32 am »
Subjectively- to my ears the sound is better. I never used the CS80, partly because of the too small GUI  but also because I wasn't impressed with the sound. It now sounds wonderful. But I also think the upgrade is worth it just for the synclavier.

martinl

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 09:06:52 am »
I think, in the end we will have little choice, if we are still hoping for some bug fixes for the outstanding issues in V4. Examples are the 'SINE' oscillator in Modular V, which finally seems to be fixed in the new version and probably will never be fixed as a free update to the old one. Other outstanding issues include the volume pedals, which do not react smoothly when controlled via Midi.

legreg6

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 11:40:26 pm »
Subjectively- to my ears the sound is better. I never used the CS80, partly because of the too small GUI  but also because I wasn't impressed with the sound. It now sounds wonderful. But I also think the upgrade is worth it just for the synclavier.

I extensively compared Arp 2600 V3 and V2 side by side: I hear no difference whatsoever. None. Zero. I'll try the same with the CS80, but I have my doubts.

And yes, "improved sound engine" is a very vague...concept.  There is absolutely no clarification from Arturia about this.

From what I am seeing, $99 upgrade is worthless. You get new presets (I personally rarely use presets), and new (blurry) GUIs.

I don't get it !

Andrew Montreal

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 01:54:07 pm »
I realize that it has been half a year since the last post. I just had to add my two cents. Last night I compared the old and new versions of the Mini and the Prophet on my studio system. To put it lightly, they are MAJOR improvements... More definition, greater depth, more engaging filters. Everything. Going back and forth, I couldn't believe how much smaller the older ones sounded... and I really love the Mini v2. And this is even when favouring the older one level-wise. Ignore the patches and simply create a basic sound with the oscillators and filters, you will hear it. THANK YOU ARTURIA!

That being said, I am disappointed that the new Mini uses lower note triggering. I prefer the higher note triggering of v2.

(And yes, I copy pasted what I wrote in another thread.)

LBH

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 02:57:26 pm »
That being said, I am disappointed that the new Mini uses lower note triggering. I prefer the higher note triggering of v2.
You can select the play mode to be Low, High, Last note priority in the bottom panel in MINI V3. You can also select playmode in MINI V2. It's great playmodes is selectable.
If there was only one playmode then it should be Low note priority as it's a emulation of Minimoog. (EDIT: I'm not completely certain, but i think the new hardware Minimoog Model D also have selectable playmodes. EDIT END.)

If there are'nt choices (that i like to have), then it should be the original thing unless perhaps if the original is an error or something like that. That go for the sound too to say something about the threads topic. An emulation is'nt only about what someone think sound best or prefere, but mainly about how it emulate the original synths sound etc... Then i think choices can be added to this. Some of the originals was made in different versions that all can be emulated in a single software emulation. And i personally even don't mind more choices as long a original sound is emulated too.
There are many threads about this in the forum, and i have been giving my views in details in them. I can in short say, that even if there are many positive things to say about Arturias emulations, then i find there are still room for improovement.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 05:58:11 pm by LBH »

Andrew Montreal

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 06:48:52 pm »
You can select the play mode to be Low, High, Last note priority in the bottom panel in MINI V3. You can also select playmode in MINI V2. It's great playmodes is selectable.
If there was only one playmode then it should be Low note priority as it's a emulation of Minimoog. (EDIT: I'm not completely certain, but i think the new hardware Minimoog Model D also have selectable playmodes. EDIT END.
Thanks. Glad I mentioned it. I hadn't seen it.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines