March 29, 2024, 12:04:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Static with V-5 Stand-alone vs. VST plugins  (Read 2197 times)

NotASpeckOfCereal

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Static with V-5 Stand-alone vs. VST plugins
« on: May 18, 2017, 03:23:44 am »
Hi all,

New v-collection 5 user here. Installed yesterday so I have the latest revs. Computer specs below the post

When I play the instruments stand-alone, I get static /crackling in the signal. I'm getting it with more than one of the instruments (today it's the CS80v, Piano, and Stage73). The static is random, not associated with particular keys / sustain pedal / any hardware.

The CPU meter at the bottom of the instrument window reads at most 3-4 bars (so not more than 1/4 of the full meter). I've tried it with Multi-core feature on and off to no avail.

When I run the same instruments with the same presets in the DAW as VST instruments, I get almost no static. I've noticed just the occassional tick, but just a couple of percent of the amount when running them stand-alone. However, it is slightly there too**. (You might think if it were a problem with resources that the issue would be worse when run within a the DAW, but no.)

Edit: (** meaning that since it also exists somewhat in a VST, then it affects the recording of my project.)

Has anyone experienced this? Any feedback at all?

Thanks much,
Speck

Windows 7 Ult 64bit,
Sonar Platinum
Intel i5-4670 @ 3.40GHz 4 core
32GB memory
tons of HDD, but not SSD
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 05:10:16 am by NotASpeckOfCereal »

gregwalton42

Re: Static with V-5 Stand-alone vs. VST plugins
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 10:24:54 am »
Have you tried increasing the size of your audio buffers in the driver for your audio interface?

LBH

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 03:52:42 pm »
Hi and wellcome to Arturia forums.

I have reported some issues for a coupple applications, but if it's the same i can't tell. I don't think i have exsperienced an issue like this only for the standalone, but i can't be certain.
Perhaps it can help if you post a factory preset name for a sound where you exsperience the issues.

How loud is the crackling?

When it crackles have you tried turning down the main volume?

What are the CPU load for the individual cores when it crackle? Is a core overloaded? I think Arturias CPU meters show the overall usage. A single core can be maxed out without it shows. Personally i would like the meters to show the usage the most loaded CPU core have.
If a single core is overloaded, then you can try to adjust buffers like gregwalton42 suggest.

What Antivirus are you running? You can try to go offline and turn off your antivirus to see if that has an impact.

NotASpeckOfCereal

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 12:20:39 am »
Have you tried increasing the size of your audio buffers in the driver for your audio interface?
That fixed it. Changing from 32 to 64 samples did the trick. If it still happen later, I'll try the next step up.

Thanks much,
Speck

NotASpeckOfCereal

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 12:24:29 am »
Hi and wellcome to Arturia forums.

I have reported some issues for a coupple applications, but if it's the same i can't tell. I don't think i have exsperienced an issue like this only for the standalone, but i can't be certain.
Perhaps it can help if you post a factory preset name for a sound where you exsperience the issues.

How loud is the crackling?

When it crackles have you tried turning down the main volume?

What are the CPU load for the individual cores when it crackle? Is a core overloaded? I think Arturias CPU meters show the overall usage. A single core can be maxed out without it shows. Personally i would like the meters to show the usage the most loaded CPU core have.
If a single core is overloaded, then you can try to adjust buffers like gregwalton42 suggest.

What Antivirus are you running? You can try to go offline and turn off your antivirus to see if that has an impact.
The crackling was about as loud as the instrument sound and it went up and down with gain change.

Watch the different cores in Windows Task Manager, there didn't seem to be an overload of any 1 core. Though I noticed that the core usage really didn't change when enabled / disabled the Multi-Core feature (which I've only noticed in the Piano module).

I upped the buffer size as gregwalton42 suggested and that did the trick, so I'm good now.

Possibly the reason it didn't happen in the DAW vs, Stand-alone was because the DAW engine settings were at a higher buffer level by default.

Thanks,
Speck

T11

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 12:24:34 am »
I get exactly the same as OP in the first post.

Buffer size doesn't matter, tried them all, from the lowest up to 2048.

Worked fine with the previous version.

MB: ASUS X99 DELUXE
CPU: Intel i7 5820K 3,3 GHz 15MB 6-Core
RAM: Corsair 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 2666MHz CL15 VENGEANCE
System disk: SSD 400GB Intel 750 OEM PCIe (NVMe)
Soundcard: UAD Apollo QUAD Firewire

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines