March 29, 2024, 01:56:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Ability to use Rate Knob as MIDI controller  (Read 3905 times)

Fabian Reuter

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Ability to use Rate Knob as MIDI controller
« on: April 03, 2018, 10:49:49 pm »
I only use my Keystep in a setup where a Volca Beats is the master clock and anything else - including the Keystep - is syncing to that. For that reason, I never ever use the Rate Knob.
So it´d be great really being able to use it to send MIDI CC data to the device I´m controlling through the Keystep (a Volca Sample in my case).
It would really add value to the device.

marcome

• Apprentice
Re: Ability to use Rate Knob as MIDI controller
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 11:44:55 pm »
I just got my Keystep and one of the things I was very excited about was the Rate Knob. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to do anything when the clock is coming from the DAW via USB. Of course, preserving its functionality when synced to a DAW is not straightforward, given the conflict between "free tempo" and the DAW's own tempo. But, in my opinion, it's a very interesting challenge which could give birth to a great design, if you cope with it in a clever way. For instance: the "zero" position of the knob could be the present ARP/SEQ rate, and turning it would increase the rate. Regardless of any sync. But, when going back to zero, the sync is restored (the trigger should wait for the next beat).

It's just an idea, but it's kind of sad seeing a knob unused, especially on such a minimal design.

fungus

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 07:20:40 pm »
Hah, I thought of doing this, too.

Use the tempo knob as a MIDI controller when then sequencer/arp isn't running, eg. filter cutoff.

I'm not getting my hopes up over this idea though.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 01:02:58 pm »
I'm not getting my hopes up over this idea though.
Yup these feature request subforums are largely pointless, you may as well send a note up the chimney to Santa.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

fungus

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 04:34:32 pm »
Yup these feature request subforums are largely pointless, you may as well send a note up the chimney to Santa.

I only got here two days ago but no, I can't see many posts from Arturia employees.

CH7

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 05:45:42 pm »
I can't see Arturia paying any attention unless our comments are likely to impact on their next product promotions,
I'd wait for the eve of the next NAMM and then see if they pay attention to their customer base...

This is really a poor show... ;(

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines