March 28, 2024, 04:52:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Sweet bell tones ... with echoes rising in pitch  (Read 2710 times)

robst247

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • RobSt247 on SoundCloud
Sweet bell tones ... with echoes rising in pitch
« on: May 16, 2017, 02:47:10 am »
Here's an interesting preset I just created based on DrJustice's patented recipe for sweet bell tones:

- In the mixer, turn off VCO 1, set VCO 2 level to 2 o'clock, send VCO 2 to the ladder
- in VCO 1 and VCO 2, turn down the saw wave fully, set Sub wave to sine (fully counter clockwise)
- in VCO 1, set Sub level to half
- in VCO 2, set Sub level to 3 o'clock, set Coarse tuning to +1 octave (turn it clockwise until the LED lights up)
- in the FM section, set VCO 1 > VCO 2 to 3 o'clock
- in the performance section, set the Octave to +2 (compensating for the fact that we use Sub oscillators)
- in Env 2, set Attack and Sustain to minimum, set Decay and Release to half
- in LFO 1, select sine wave, set Rate to 1 o'clock
- in the Mod matrix, assign LFO 1 to VCA, set the amount to 30  (to get wavering/shimmering)

... to which I applied some modifications of my own:

1. Instead of routing directly to VCF2 (ladder), I've put the filters in series and switched VCF1 (Steiner) to high-pass mode. Why? To filter out the disharmonic undertones (lower sideband frequencies) that result from FM, before passing the signal to the low-pass filter.

2. Instead of using a sine wave as the carrier (VCO2), I've used a triangular wave (without metallization) to give a fuller, more complex timbre, more like a church carillon.

3. To further beef up the sound, VCF2 has about 60% Brute Factor (about as much as I could dial in without getting that expensive 'speaker-cones-popping-out-like-Madonna's-pointy-tits' effect).

4. To imitate the metal beater, I mixed in an initial burst of Blu noise. Noise Level is 83% modulated by ENV3, which has only a very short decay section.

5. The echoes rising in pitch (which are only heard in the lower three octaves) are created by the Stereo Delay, with Regeneration cranked up almost to the max. and a medium delay time about 55% modulated by ENV2, which has decay set at about 75%.

6. The VCF2 (Ladder) cutoff frequency is tracked to the keyboard with a positive slope of about 33%.

What do you think, fellow MatrixBruters? If you modify this preset in an interesting way, please post the result(s) here.
Morpheus: "Nobody can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself."

@musicZtorm

Re: Sweet bell tones ... with echoes rising in pitch
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 03:31:27 pm »
Thanks for sharing ! :)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines