April 24, 2024, 01:10:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Warning for those updating to Ableton Live Lite 9.7.2  (Read 1755 times)

Alienfromirth

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Warning for those updating to Ableton Live Lite 9.7.2
« on: May 15, 2017, 01:42:13 pm »
Skip to the very bottom if you want to go straight to the meat and potatoes.

I'm assuming that many-like me- are still using the Lite version of Ableton that came bundled with MiniLab mk 2. This is my first midi controller and my first DAW as well. I'm slowly getting the hang of it and have put many hours of blood, sweat and tears building a library of clips and live sets.

I recently learned that control surface functionality was finally enabled with Ableton Live v9.7.2, when combined with the Minilab mk2 firmware v1.0.9.83. This was great news!!!

So, I eagerly downloaded and installed everything- but now I have a serious problem: when I try to open Recent Live Sets, they populate on the drop-down tab, but are now grayed out. I panicked! What happened to all my songs?!?

Googling came up with nothing so far. Ableton has done a tricky thing and closed their technical questions forum and instead directs you to tech support. Only, if they see you are a free Lite user, you are ineligible for tech support. You must first upgrade to a paid version. They do not allow you to buy the cheaper Intro version if you have already started with Lite, so next tier is Standard: $379.

I am not 100% sure, but I believe the root problem is that I should have saved the previous version of Ableton instead of overwriting it. My hours of Live Set data seem to be lost forever. For some reason, the new version of Live Lite doesn't carry over the earlier version's Live Sets- but- inexplicably- my Clips (those that I saved separately as clips in the User Library) have been preserved.

So, if you are updating from Ableton 9.7.1x to 9.7.2, DO NOT OVERWRITE THE PREVIOUS VERSION! Save it elsewhere. Unless there is a work-around or I've overlooked something (please correct me if I'm wrong), all of your songs will be erased.

I kinda wish this info would be included in the Arturia firmware patch notes and Ableton patch notes as well. Many bought the MiniLab mk 2 for its Ableton integration (and we've been waited a long time for it). Also, we Ableton Lite users have little recourse as free users. Hope I've helped.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 04:53:32 pm by Alienfromirth »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines