April 18, 2024, 04:12:23 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: New Info  (Read 1468 times)

ClydeLyman

New Info
« on: May 15, 2017, 05:52:59 am »
Since last I was here, I found a couple of things. I was planning to use a KeyLab 88 for an Arranger Keyboard setup. i had forgotten that I have a KeyLab 25 (thought it was a MiniLab) that I was going to use in recording. But since it's a KeyLab, I wonder if I can use it with a KeyLab 61 as a left-hand KB or integrated into one KB for things like Piano. I've got the Computer, a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 7th Gen core i7 with 16 GB RAM and 512 GB SSD. What I'd like to do with my 25 is get reverse-color keys. If I can do that then the money I save can be used for a version of Band-In-A-Box and I ams still exceeding the performance levels of the Yamaha Tyros 5 or Korg PA-4x at less than half the price

Now, I was also hoping to use REAPER for my DAW. It can generate up to 50 tracks, is reasonably priced for small users at 60 USD,  but more importantly, it has a built-in VST bridge or "wrapper", which means it doesn't care if the plugin is 32 or 64 bit, which menas you do not have to add a jsbridge; and I have many VST and VSTi in both sizes, including the Buchty-approved SQ-80 plugin. However, I have heard bad things about the integration of REAPER and Arturia which, if true is a shame since REAPER is very popular and becoming more so judging by the number of tutorial YouTubers who use it as a DAW of choice

I have not yet activiated the 25 since I wanted to have all my recording items in place on my Surface Pro 4 but since I'll be moving it to the other system, I will have to deal with it from there. I would also apprciate Intelligent Chord Play on that unit. I can move the Novation Mini LaunchKey to the recording system. Using the KeyLab 61, I do not have to save up as much money and wait as long as I would with the 88

ClydeLyman

Re: New Info
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 04:32:49 pm »
Looking at the Yamaha Tyros 5 and Korg PA-4x, I have deduced that for a successful arranger keyboard I shall need
1 Performance section. The vices you play live. Starting with Analog Lab 2, I have tones of VSTi including organs, pianos, strings drums, over 70 synths, samples, basses, the Buchty-appoved SQ-80 plugin Sforzando and possibly the legendary Cakewalk sfz 1.9.7, the DSK sf2 player and the Kontact 5 free  version (might get Reaktor). See this for the skinny on sfz and sf2
https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=90777.0
2. Effects. I have many vst effets plugins of all types; EQ's, compressors. channel strips, delays, phasers, flangers, reverbs and a guitar pedalboard
3. Accompaniment, style and other badking tracks. At least 8 track system, but using only 8 tracks you you assign drums in the traditional manner (track 10) I do not know. Backing tracks to many specific songs are available on the Web. I would like at least 16 tracks
4. Vocal input and processor (harmanizer, EQ, etc). I have Izotope Nectar
5. Quality recofding studio. Both the Tyros 5 and PA-4x have that. one uses plugins by Waves. For this I like REAPER, it is taking the world by storm because the price is right for what you get, it can generate ukp to 50 tracks, has a good effects section and doesn't care if the plugins are 32 or 64 bit because it has a built-in bridge. From what I am hearing and seeing, deep integration between Arturia and REAPER would be a hugn plus

However I am doing things a bit differently

1. Tyros and PA-4x appear to be computerized keyboards; I am going more to the computer side with the keyboards and vocal input processor (M-Audio M-Track Plus) as peripherals
2. Switching frmo the Keylab 88 to the combo of a Keylab 25 which I already have and a Keylab 61, I may be able to get more flexibility. using the 25 for Combo organ style bass, a chord keyboard or maybe a combo organ style bass/chord like the Vox Jaguar or a full out chord/backing track accompinament keyboard like on the Tros and PA-4x, with the option of integrating the 25 and 61 into a single 8-Octave keyboard. As a separate keyboard, hopefully, I can adjust the octave range
3. The PA-4x costs $4000 USD and the Tyros 5 is $5000 USD. I plan to bring this in for under $2600. I am currently looking at Band-In-A-Box or some less costly alternative, like Chord-Pad, for the backing tracks
3. Just with Analog Lab 2 alone, this will have at least 5 times the number of voices and with the parametric controllers on the instrument, who knows what that multiplies out to in variations

I am pretty far along, but must wait a few months to get the finances right. If anyone wonats to bring this in first. Go ahead, just keep us informed. The idea is to meet both performance and price. Also, you may prefer to use the 88. I was going to until I realized I had the Keylab 25 and not the MiniLab. Now all I have to do is get the 61 and a board of some kind to hold them securely and some kind of stand for the computer. a Dell Inspiron 15, 7579 2 in 1 core i7 2.7 (up to 3.5) GH 7500U , 16 GB RAM. 512 GB SSD Windows 10 Home factory refurbished

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines