March 28, 2024, 03:03:12 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Poll

Would I like KeyStep ARP to operate from notes (single or multiple) received from an external source

Yes
8 (100%)
No (why wouldn't you?!?)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: ARP receive notes from external source VOTE FOR THIS FEATURE!  (Read 8138 times)

westofben

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Please forgive if this has been raised and I have not found the thread. I have posted in the tech forum, but figured posting an official feature request would be appropriate.

If Seq can receive a note and transpose accordingly, then can Arp listen for notes from an external midi source and apply these - paying attention to the order of notes?

1. A chord sent from an external hardware keyboard, possibly with a range greater than the inbuilt keyboard
2. I imagine there being some software uses here, adding a feather to the cap
3. Some amazing things could be achieved!

Please look into this  :)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 11:11:42 pm by westofben »

westofben

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: ARP receive notes from external source
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 10:57:38 am »
Arturia crew,

Could you please advise whether this is:

a) not possible ever
b) may appear in a forthcoming PRO model
c) other, which will mean I need to find another solution

Thanks!

Edouard_Arturia

• Product Manager
  • Administrator
Re: ARP receive notes from external source
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 09:37:07 am »
Hello.

At the moment like you noticed, this is not possible.

However, such a feature could be implemented in a firmware update.

If enough customers asks for this, it will raise the priority of this feature request.

Cheers

Edouard
DGDGDGDGDG

westofben

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: ARP receive notes from external source VOTE FOR THIS FEATURE!
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 02:36:23 pm »
Thanks Edouard!

I will hold out and hope this request receives the required backing from fellow Arturia fans  :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 11:11:46 am by westofben »

mrbob

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 08:12:14 pm »
I WANT THIS. I know 846 people who also want it but don't have internet access. I can give you their names in a couple of days if you don't belive me.

I really don't know why it isn't requested.  This forum isn't that active. 
How many people would you need and how to you get any requests outside of here?  I've asked this on another thread and on Facebook.  The keystep doesn't seem to get the same love as the beatstep, but it's perhaps my favourite keyboard and integral to my setup. It deserves new features!

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 07:29:29 am »
You personally know 846 Keystep owners who don't have Internet access and who all want to not use the keyboard on their Keystep?
To be honest, the ARP mode is pretty shit.  Besides it recording velocity, every other arp I have on nearly every monosynth I own beats it.  Even the arp on the Minibrute is more flexible than the Keystep arp.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

mrbob

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 12:50:55 pm »
Er......Yeah I run the offline keystep user group. Honest.

I know it's not the greatest arp at the mo. But my setup is very modest. I have some projects with chord progressions for which that would be ideal.  I guess it seems like it might be easy to implement in my head.  Hold button is on, arpeggiate the midi in. 
Sure add some funkier arp styles too.  I'll ask the offline group if they want that too

They said yes!

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 03:38:13 am »
Umm, okay then.  No offence, but I can't help but think of an old 90's 'pro' wrestler named Mankind....

I sometimes forget that the rest of the world all don't have hardware synths and sequencers stacked up ontop of each other.  Being able to have your arpeggios follow a chord progression is pretty important.  To have that happen automatically is a nice thing.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

mrbob

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 10:22:29 pm »
Yeah, space, money and a hatred of cables.  I'm happy with my Nord A1, Nord Drum 2 Beatstep Pro and KeyStep setup.  It's uncomplicated. It's too tempting to get into gear and  I can always add the ipad into the mix

westofben

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 11:19:58 am »
I was going to reply to your other post mrbob, about arping chords from Logic.

I want this feature simply because I have the synth module I want for now, I don't want more gear because what I have is an extension of my duties in the band - the bass player and probably singer. To arpeggiate a bunch of chords from external source (for me that is a KMI 12-Step because it sends up to 5 notes with one key!) would be killer.

I just happen to really like how simple the Keystep is, even though it might be limited to some, it hits the right price and form factor and everything.

Hoping at least some of the 846 Keystep owners get online. How do we reach these people. We want.. no NEED this feature please!!

westofben

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 07:39:40 am »
Has any more throught been put into this idea?

I am starting to write songs where this would be killer, or make the songs at all possible without adding more members. I definitely don’t want to add more gear, unless it is a KeyStep Pro that will 100% have this feature and is priced right.

rosko

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 08:02:35 pm »
First thing i try when using this is to link up external midi control as an alternative input. gutted its not possible as it would be amazingly useful. For ARP and SEQ though.

westofben

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 03:18:01 am »
I am keeping the KeyStep for sure, but I have found another solution. I only need to buy the Arduino parts, build and configure and install in a case...

rosko

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 10:16:34 pm »
I only want to input notes into the seq from another source so i don't think there is any solution for that. Just find that mini keyboard pretty restricted for polyphonic input & my full size keyboard, push or even a midi trigger from a guitar would be very cool.

Maybe i misunderstood this in the Advert for this product when it states 'KeyStep also integrates a socket for a sustain pedal, sync input and output to follow or send a clock signal, and MIDI input to use an external keyboard or use KeyStep as a MIDI to CV converter.' :(

westofben

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 06:03:11 am »
@rosko

You understood some things, like CV and sync. KeyStep does some amazing things with those I/O connections, none of which I do yet. BUT it is really only designed to function from its internal keyboard.

There is one thing you can do: transpose a sequence from an external source. I have found this works fine, but with only 8 sequence memory it is limiting and the end result of transposing a sequence is not always musical. That's why I don't use that feature.

Some of the other gurus in here can help you out regarding CV etc.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines