March 28, 2024, 08:03:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: win10 minilab mk2 shows as a device but produces no sound and selection in sw do  (Read 12062 times)

arturiaforever

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
I bought minilab mk2 and on the 9th feb plugged into my pc (win10) and installed the software. it worked out of the box: sounds came from wither playing the keyboard or the analog lab 3. fantastic! 

yesterday windows did an update and now only the software works and the keyboard became mute.

the keyboard shows in analog lab sw settings and I can tick to choose it. when I exit and return, my tick has always been removed.

my USB recognizes the device but the usb control panel shows some sort of error.
Device USB\VID_1C75&PID_0289&MI_00\6&4f3935a&0&0000 requires further installation.

I reinstalled and the log shows identical entries (see bottom of the mail, so maybe this is not the issue?).

all the issues and error messages are the same as this guy had in september 2015:
https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=85460.0

any thoughts how to get this sorted?

arturiaforever

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
I used the win10 troubleshooter which tells me the device does not support USB 3.0:

"Plug the device into an available USB 2.0 port, and click Next. Otherwise, click Cancel."

is this correct (usually win10 troubleshooter does not quite get it right)? if yes, again, any ideas what next?

midix

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
My guess is that Windows update rewrote your chipset drivers (Microsoft does that sometimes with their drivers) and now your USB 3 port is unable to correctly work with USB 2 devices.

You might want to try to find chipset or specifically USB drivers of the manufacturer of your computer or motherboard - usually directly from Intel or AMD website and reinstall those to replace the Microsoft ones.

Also, if your computer has USB 2 ports (the black ones, not the blue USB 3) try to connect Minilab to those and see if it works.

And according to the thread you mentioned, Minilab might have created and left ghost entries. So you might want to try out the following:

- disconnect the Minilab
- click on "View-> Show hidden devices" in Device Manager menu
- in Device manager tree find all instances of Minilab (most probably under "Sound, video and game controllers" but I'm not sure, I don't have Minilab - wanting to buy but still in doubt) and right click and Uninstall for all of them
- restart the computer
- connect the Minilab again

Hopefully it will help. You might want to try combinations of both solutions - disconnect Minilab, remove ghosts, reinstall chipset drivers, restart, connect.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 09:30:16 am by midix »

arturiaforever

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
thanks midix! doing my best to follow your clear instructions below:

"show hidden devices" shows 5 grey minilab drivers and one that is active. the active one disappeared when I unplugged it.
I guess I'll proceed to kill all those five grey drivers now.

"show hidden devices" also shows 5 greyd out "USB composite devices" updated during the last few days. I think I'll kill those too.
aha ok, the hidden devices disappear when I kill the USB composite devices ie they were the one and same thing.

the PC is one year old (gigabyte z170x-ultra gaming) and it seems to have two USB 2 slots (based on the fact that they don't have "USB 3" text), see attached picture.

I then reconnected arturia and it created: 
- sound video and game controllers: arturia minilab mk2
- universal serial bus controllers: USB composite device

here are the messages after connecting to the alleged USB2:
- Device USB\VID_1C75&PID_0289&MI_00\6&8614b72&0&0000 requires further installation.
- Device USB\VID_1C75&PID_0289\5&376aba2d&0&14 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

despite these "error messages", the bloody keyboard seems to work!!! at least I got some sounds coming out of it.  next step, getting it to work with the DAW!!!

thank you so much!

arturiaforever

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
here's the pic of the backside of the motherboard.

midix

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Good to hear you got it working. Hopefully, it will continue to work despite that broken "migration" status.

Microsoft forums have many complaints about failures caused by "device migrations" after Windows 10 updates.

You might want to take a chance and get rid of that error using official chipset drivers (which usually include USB 2 drivers), for example:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170X-Ultra-Gaming-rev-10#support-dl

Scroll down to Chipset section, open it up and in the row with "Intel INF installation"  pick the closest location for download (e.g. America), download and run the SetupChipset  installer.

Also you might want to install Intel USB 3.0 and Intel USB 3.1 drivers from the same page, but not sure about those - they seem pretty outdated and do not list Windows 10 as supported OS (but usually Windows 8.1 drivers work just fine on Windows 10). And there's no reason plugging Minilab into USB 3 port anyway - it does not use USB 3 speeds anyway and might indeed have some compatibility issues with Microsoft or Intel drivers in the future.

Ragnar

Hi!

Have had some kind of the same problem for a long time, so much that I am even considering buying an USB-2 card, since my PC has USB-3 only.

The MiniLab shows up correctly everywhere, even in my DAW. And MIDI Control Center shows MIDI-signal from the MiniLab as well. But there is no MIDI-signal coming into the DAW.

ONE "solution" I found out, that might help others, is that when reconnecting the MiniLab, I press a note/key on the MiniLab while reconnecting the USB-cable. It works every time.

Since Windows loves to overwrite my drivers, I might buy a cheap USB-2 card, and insert it, probably at one of the smaller PCI-slots.

Love the MiniLab MKII!

« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 06:52:38 pm by Ragnar »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines