April 16, 2024, 05:45:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Keystep Noob question anbout Midi IN  (Read 2150 times)

Phitar

Keystep Noob question anbout Midi IN
« on: April 24, 2017, 01:45:08 pm »
Does the midi DIN jack on the Keystep perform any functions other than allowing use of the midi external clock and thru functions?

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: Keystep Noob question anbout Midi IN
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 04:06:57 am »
It also receives notes for transposing your sequences and arpeggios.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

westofben

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 01:49:09 am »
Hi again megamarkd!

Using a KMI 12-step I am trying to send a bunch of notes to the KS but it isn't listening. Not sure which MIDI channel KS is listening to. Any help greatly appreciated!

The 12 can send up to 5 notes on one key press. I am hoping the KS will see these and arpeggiate them.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 05:11:31 am »
Hmm, I've not ever used my Keystep with a different keyboard to enter notes.
There are three channels you assign the Keystep; the keyboard channel, the user channel and the sequence channel.  I use a controller I can easily change the channel of to bounce between transposing the Keystep and Beatstep Pro, as well as other duties, but I've always used the native interfaces of those two sequencers for programming notes.

Okay after rereading the manual I found on page 31 the following:
Quote from: Page 31 Of The Manual
5.2.4 What it does not record
[....]
· Data that arrives via MIDI or USB. However, incoming note data can be used to
transpose a sequence, and the KeyStep sequencer and arpeggiator can be slaved
to incoming clock data.

It would seem the same is true for the Arpeggiator too.  Bung.  I guess there is a new feature request; External controller keyboard support for recording sequences/arpeggios.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

westofben

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 09:05:15 am »
That's almost how I read it. I have clock coming from Boss ES-8 perfectly. ES-8 is switching KMI 12-Step to correct preset and the synth at the end is happy. I guess I am asking for a feature that gives away my laziness, or more so the fact I would like to arpeggiate different chords via foot as I am playing another instrument.

Edit: and then to be even lazier, or more amazing depending on your perspective, because the 12-step can send a few notes with one key, then if the KeyStep picks them up in order of delivery, it can arpeggiate that way via the rotary knob.

I will go down the path of transposing sequences for now. Unfortunately I am going to run out of sequences quick smart.

So far though I am loving the KeyStep.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 10:37:17 am by westofben »

tkabd

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 11:33:15 am »
This could be very useful for entering pre-recorded sequences from, say, ableton or pro tools. The BSP has it and it is a really good option.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines