April 23, 2024, 08:09:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Deconstructing F15  (Read 2103 times)

Aphemia

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Deconstructing F15
« on: April 11, 2017, 10:13:39 pm »
OK, I'm stumped!

Can someone help me understand preset F15?  Try playing single notes (even though it's a paraphonic patch).  Notice how the pitch and filter behaves as you play different notes...

I would appreciate anyone who can point me to the setting(s) affecting this because:

1. It's awesome
2. See item 1

Thanks!

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
Re: Deconstructing F15
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 11:12:56 pm »
I'll try to break it down:

• VCO 1 is synced to VCO 2, and VCO 1 is tuned one octave lower than VCO 2
  • Since the synth is in Paraphonic mode, VCO 2 is only given a new pitch when you play a second key
  • When you let go of the second key, VCO 1, which pitch is set when you play the first key, is still synced to VCO 2, and VCO 2 is now at a stationary pitch (until a second key is played again), so VCO 1 plays the same pitch over the whole keyboard when you play only one key
  • The basic timbre of sound of VCO 1 will change depending on the key you play, since the sync master/slave frequency relationship changes (try playing the second key at both lower and higher notes than the first key to get dramatic variations in the first key's timbre)
  • The pitch of VCO 1 and the cutoff of the Steiner filter is modulated by LFO 1 which is at a very low rate and with Retrig Single Shot enabled, so LFO 1 works as a slow ramp "envelope" giving the distinctive timbral sweep of the OSC 1 (first note) sound
  • VCO 3 plays on the third key pressed, but is not part of the syncing and plays normally

A very sneaky patch indeed  ;D
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 11:49:02 pm by DrJustice »

Aphemia

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 01:21:40 pm »
Excellent - thank you so much for this.  It's really helpful and interesting.

I need to explore how the paraphonic and duo-splits work more fully - I have only been building mono patches so far.

Thanks again - much appreciated.

PS Yes, very sneaky!

JavaLaurence

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • Software Pearls - Java Consultancy
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 10:13:52 pm »
@DrJustice: How did you figure all this out? When selecting a random patch, the knobs don't turn themselves to indicate the presets' settings.. so .. how do you do it ?
Be Happy. Live for Today

BobTheDog

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 10:43:42 pm »
Apart from DJ being a synth guru for this example he can mostly just look at the switch leds and the matrix. If you go through each part of his description that's all he /you needs.

P.s. you can hold the preset button and turn the knobs to match then to the preset values (0).

« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 10:46:05 pm by BobTheDog »

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 10:46:18 pm »
@JavaLaurence: If you hold the Preset button down while turning a knob, its +/- value relative to the one stored in the preset will be displayed. When you reach the stored value the display will show "-P-" to indicate that the knob is now at the preset's value. The other things in the patch analysis can be gleamed from the various LEDs on the panel and the Mod Matrix.

Edit: Ninja'd by BobTheDog!  :D
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 10:49:15 pm by DrJustice »

BobTheDog

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 11:02:50 pm »
Sorry I should have said -p- not (0), been off the booze for 6 weeks until today, that's my excuse anyway.

DJs description made me load up that patch and have a play which made be understand a bit more about the MB, I would never have thought about making a patch like that before.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines