April 27, 2024, 01:23:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Ableton settings  (Read 2642 times)

eroxx

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Ableton settings
« on: April 09, 2017, 11:57:51 pm »
Can someone please share the settings they have in Ableton? Everything I do won't work. Every now and again I can get ableton recognize the external instrument of the matrix brute, but then either I can't hear the midi, or I can, but then when i play something else sound doesn't come through ... It doesn't help that the matrix brute shows up in ableton as 2 midi devices -

Matrixbrute midi interface and
matrixbrute unknown midi device

???

khidr

• Music is everything
Re: Ableton settings
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 09:18:55 pm »
Hi Eroxx,
First check that your audio interface is connected correctly and "seen by ableton. Go to preferences and select your audio interface as the audio input and output device.
click on input config and select every channel you see. It's a bit much and will put some strain on your computer, but it's rto make certain that ableton "catches everything that 's coming in and transmits on all audio output channels. Later you can mute them one by one to reduce this strain.
Next go to the link/midi tab in preferences and make certain that  for input: matrixbrute (unknown mididevice everything is on
same for output : Matrixbrute (unknown mididevice)

Now go to the the main screen of ableton (where you see all your clips; select instruments/external instrument and drag external instrument to an empty clip channel.
In the the Midi from: section of the channel you should now see something happening when you press a key on the matrixbrute. To have the channel only recognise midi from the matrixbrute set Midi from: to  Matrixbrute (unknown mididevice) Either "auto" or "in" can be selected. If you're not seeing any midi response in your newly create channel, you midi interface is not configured correcty or not working.

When you drag an external instrument to a to an empty channel as we did just now there will appear a device in the device strip in the bottom row. Check or change the settings to Midi to: Matrixbrute (unknown mididevice)
and audio from (select your audio interface) If you don't know what to check click on the audio from selection bar and play some sounds on your matrixbrute. The volume bars of the channel that receives the audio will light up. select this channel and set gain to the right level.
If all this works ok, click on the little floppy symbol in the top right corner of the device save the device as "Matrixbrute". You now have a working device that you can load every time you want to use the matrix brute as an external instrument.
In a similar way you can create devices for all your external instruments and set each one to a different midi channel this allows you to play them independently from ableton

Hope this helps..

Gert

-------------------------------------------------
www.soundcloud.com/khidr

eroxx

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Ableton settings
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 07:52:44 pm »
Thank you so much. I think I got it working. Now the only thing I'm trying to figure out is how do I get the matrixbrute to play in time with ableton of ableton is not recording but just playing?

Also, k can't figure out whether I want local control on or off.
Thank you so much for that detailed and thoughtful response!'

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines