April 25, 2024, 06:45:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Have your own opinion on the FX when testing the MB !  (Read 3715 times)

VAU

Have your own opinion on the FX when testing the MB !
« on: April 05, 2017, 12:21:13 pm »
there are reviews like now by BLAWAN ( great producer, i really like his kind of techno ! )
that might give you the impression, the built in FX are, well,  "mediocre".

From my side i can only say this: the first time i tried out the MB in a shop, i dialed in some effect and it seemed to
make the sound washy, blurry, take off too much of the original signal.  so i thought, well, ok, nice add on, nothing too fancy...

But, after several weeks now with the MB,  i do not only appreciate ARTURIA's decision NOT to use some digital FX but BBD based analog ones,
but - and this is the IMPORTANT  part: so many of my patches would be IMPOSSIBLE without exaclty these FX.

You have to try out and modulate and they are not FX like a set and foget digital reverb, but instead with investing time, you get great results,
from doubling, vibrato like sounds, to very unique spiced up patches, you get breathing on pads, dirt on your bassline and much much more.
Modulate it's parameters, make fine adjustments, find the right spots, all that will be rewarded!

To me, these FX make  A HUGE impact on the overall unique sound of the MB.

i can only speak for myself, but don't say "nah" to these FX to fast. i think you would miss a good part of the MBs potential.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 12:39:52 pm by VAU »

usw

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Have your own opinion on the FX when testing the MB !
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 03:25:45 pm »
I agree, the bbd effects aren't mere add-ons, I'm not fond of the longer time settings but the chorus, flanger and the reverb are part of the synthesis scheme. The fact that they're not digital also makes a big difference in their presence (no veiling side-effect and some kind of natural/acoustic feel).

SoundRider

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 03:30:26 am »
Totally agree ... I think in one of the reviews I viewed on YT it had been said clearly that the MB FX was not a replacement of pro-quality FX like TC-Electronics, Eventide, Strymon etc. or other studio gear (unfortunately I forgot who said it, it could have been sonicstate.com). This said, I wasn't dissappointed. But as you say, the FX can become part of the sound design by modulation and that's an interesting feature on the matrix and using the sequencer. We can always send the output to external FX anyway ;)

VAU

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 01:46:10 am »
and there is also an (mono) insert for external fx !

yeskeys

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 10:13:05 pm »
My personal opinion is that the MB is greatly enhanced by using outboard effects.  I use a cheap two simultaneous effect TC unit and it's giving me about a 25% increase in my auditory satisfaction.  YMMV.  I wish I could globally shut the internal FX down.

tomoe97

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 11:03:07 pm »
MB is easily one of the most inspiring synths I have ever owned with or without fx. I don't really care for the quality of the built-in fx, but I didn't buy MB for its fx. If I want quality fx, I pair MB with Eventide's H9 and couldn't be happier with how well the H9 complements it.

minus_ego

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 10:32:22 pm »
I have also been confused by folks disappointed by the FX.  Arturia has been hammering home the "fully analog signal path" aspect since the MB was announced.  I get that DSP effects are all the rage these days (I own plenty of DSP FX boxes btw) but I'm guessing that's why Arturia were kind enough to include an insert.  To each their own, I suppose.

PES

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 12:13:49 am »
The fact that there's a built-in stereo BBD delay that's integrated with the synth itself (via the matrix) is what got me to buy this.

I'm not saying the FX is the best or most important part of the synth, but it's that last ingredient that makes the MB the complete instrument that it is (I use BBD delay pedals on everything).

Knights Who Say Neve

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 09:50:00 pm »
Having analog fx onboard that can be modulated by the synthesis engine was a major selling point for me - they fit in perfectly with the vibe of the instrument. Digital fx would have been out of place.

VAU

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 10:54:55 am »
After some months programming many many patches, i cannot imagine the MB without these fx.
Absolutely essential.

MatrixBrute, Moog Voyager (and VCS/AKS,which i do not have and would not trade for any of the former mentioned) are the 3 most unique expressive monosynths  for me.

The MBs pure synth sound might not be as distinctive  as others , but the combination with those fx is pure music magic.

Chromat1c

• Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 01:25:49 pm »
Needs hp lp filters especially high pass as I just can't get rid of enough low "mud" from the output. Yes there is some range of tonality but nowhere near enough to be usable for lots of things. Its just too rich and thick needs taming or can be garbled.
Anyone with a Pro2 (which has filters on the BBD) who can tell us how different the two implementations are/sound?

I have been getting some great sounds with the BBD but its just frustrating that I can't tame the low end...

VAU

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 09:32:48 pm »
Agreed, a hp for delay and reverb would've been great..

My personal fav is the chorus. :)

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 10:14:58 pm »
Needs hp lp filters especially high pass as I just can't get rid of enough low "mud" from the output....
Could a HP filter in the insert help? I.e. pre FX HP.

Oh, and another yay for the FX here - love'm! I view them as an integral part of the synth voice.

VAU

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017, 11:55:20 pm »
Would not be the same.

It's like when mixing a song, you hp the reverb and not the vocal itself

Nice would have been if the tone knob could also act as a niveau filter.

JohnsHead

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2017, 12:54:28 am »
I love the stereo delay. I don't bother with the other effects.
I have an Eventide Space for all that nonsense. Anyway. The MB is a thing of beauty. Can't believe it's not £4k

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines