March 29, 2024, 11:33:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Drumbrute Does Not Master Beatstep  (Read 5918 times)

Crafty

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Drumbrute Does Not Master Beatstep
« on: April 03, 2017, 12:00:33 pm »
Hello Arturia and other Peeps,

I like the Drumbrute a lot. Sounds terrific and the seperate outs are perfect for shaping the sounds i want.

Now one thing I think its lacking is a seperate channel to send midi note data to let's say a Bass synth. Just to accompany the beats with some nice low lines...

I can do i through my DAW  offcourse but i feel it could be better hands on. So i bought a Beatstep thinking two arturia products would work flawless together.

So i have tried a couple of days now to get them synced, and only way i got it synced is through my DAW or by manually dialing in the speed on the Beatstep. Which is just not what i look for.

So i made the Drumbrute slave and hey it starts on the play command of the Beatstep. Only problem from there was that i couldnt get the Beatstep to play my bass synth through the midi I/O of the Drumbrute??? Bass synth was Midi channel 1 and i adjusted the Beatstep to channel 1 as wel...

But shouldn't the Beatstep start on the play command of the Drumbrute as well when Drumbrute is set as master?

I hope someone can help me out with this so i can get jamming into infinity ^^
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 12:02:10 pm by Crafty »

Crafty

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Drumbrute Does Not Master Beatstep
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 12:43:08 pm »
Anyone who has a beatstep and a drumbrute which do sync together?

mikemarion

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 04:37:32 am »
I had my Drumbrute mastering my  Beatstep Pro... I had to press SYNC in the top left corner of the BSP when I turned it on to set it to MIDI.

But I don't do this anymore.
I prefer sending MIDI to the Drumbrute from the BPS (you'll need a THRU on one of your midi devices, or a 3.5mm splitter, or a MIDI splitter).

I like the sequencer in the Drumbrute with the Mute and Solo options... so, I prefer going BSP to Drumbrute and not the reverse.

If you want to try it this way... Set the Drumbrute to Auto-sync "On" under the Global setting via the MIDI Control Center app.
Then the Drumbrute will start and stop automaticllay along with the BSP. 

Crafty

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 07:46:38 am »
Thank you Mike! I appreciate the advice!

I tried your suggestion, the thing is that when the Beatstep goes straight in the Drumbrute the Drumbrute does start and it seems synced. I just can't get my Minitaur to receive midi notes from the Beatstep? But when i link through my Roland HPD-16 which has a midi thru i can get my minitaur to play notes from the Beatstep when Drumbrute is not between, but when i put the Drumbrute in between there is nothing received in the Minitaur and Drumbrute will not start.

I was thinking that the Beatstep would receive start/ stop through USB so it could be started by Drumbrute but other way round is fine as well. I have the auto sync on but it does not auto sync.  ???

Could it be that i have the wrong MIDI channel selected?

vykaar

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 09:49:17 pm »
I use BSP clock out (din sync on stereo mini jack) to clock in on the Drumbrute (set to auto sync) so I can use the BSP midi out straight to my synths.
I am however using this standalone without USB or DAW.

groovelastig

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 12:38:53 am »
I use this the other way around - Drumbrute is the Master, Beatsep Pro is slave, via clock.
I use the Drumbrute clock out (stereo mini jack) to clock in on the Beatstep Pro (set to clock).

You need to set both to the same clock reolution in the MIDI Control Center (e.g. 48 PPQ - Pulses per quarter note). If you mismatch that, your Beatstep Pro will run at double or half speed.

I works great, although at 120 bpm, I get this glitch approx once per session:
https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=90084.0

Crafty

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 12:52:03 pm »
Thanks fo thinking with me guys!

Vykaar, i suppose you have a beatstep pro? Because i have only one din sync out on my beatstep...

hardware 408

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 09:39:39 pm »
Is the OP saying his beatstep midi notes are not making it THRU the beatstep out to his bassline device?

I have only used drumbrute as master clock, out to beatsteps.  People are answering about time sync but it seemed like the question was about midi notes getting through beatstep.

You could use beatstep as slave instead and receive clock from drumbrute i guess, if that really doesnt work. But id be surprised if that was how its supposed to be.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 12:39:12 pm »
So, does the Drumbrute have MIDI THRU?  I can't find anywhere in the manual saying that it echos the data received at the MIDI input port on the MIDI output port....
The lack of an old fashioned (tried and true) MIDI DIN input port on the Beat Step makes it hard for it to be anything other than a master without a computer involved (or a MIDI USB host box).  A friend bought a Beat Step and has pretty much shelved it because of this.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Muraker

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 02:31:52 pm »
And with a midibox?

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 12:40:23 pm »
But that's a Beatstep Pro, which has both MIDI in and out on the back panel.  The Beat Step has no MIDI in on it's back panel, so requires a computer or a USB host box for it to be used as a MIDI slave.

OFF TOPIC: I so want a black BSP.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Muraker

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 02:29:49 pm »
hOww, sorry! I miss the point :-/

Crafty

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 07:27:46 am »
Well, thanks aguys. I apreciate your contributions!

Anyways, i don't see why two machines from same company and both with a kind of clock or syncing device build in are not able to work together... I'll go for something more advanced i suppose. With build in sampling and midi sequencer in one. Now which goodie fits my needs :)

Beatstep anyone ^^

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 10:45:27 am »
Hi all,
  • The DrumBrute does not do MIDI thru. You need a MIDI splitter. Why no MIDI thru? -> Depending on your sequence, the DrumBrute can generate a huge quantity of MIDI message (espacially at fast tempos. Not more messages but much heavy traffic). Nobody can assume what will need to be echoed on MIDI out. Echoing MIDI messages, when mixed with MIDI out connection, can lead to problems (MIDI overload and dropped messages, double tempo (when clocks are echoed and mixed with clocks that are generated by the device performing MIDI thru)...). I think this is one reason, AFAIK, MIDI out and MIDI thru connections are separated (and also because MIDI THRU connectors generally pick the messages directly from the MIDI IN connectors). For instance, on some Roland Apparatus, you can choose the MIDI out connector functionnality -> OUT or THRU, but not both at the same time. Doing both is possible, but I think it is not a good idea.
  • Synchronization between DrumBrute and BeatStep should work. If it does not, something is wrong in the settings

Best,
Y.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines