March 28, 2024, 03:14:15 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Can melodic steps be triggered with the pads?  (Read 1592 times)

jshipp

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Can melodic steps be triggered with the pads?
« on: April 02, 2017, 05:37:11 pm »
Hi- forgive me, haven't bought a BSP yet, partially because I want to know how useful it will be as a play-it-live controller.  (Clearly it's a really good sequencer.) 

So I've seen videos of people playing the drum sequencer 'live,' as in, hitting a pad and hearing a sound from the module the corresponding gate out is connected to. 

What I'm wondering is, is it possible to set up steps and then trigger those steps with the drum-style pads (not the row of step-sequencer buttons,) and hear that sound?  Perhaps an example would best illustrate this:

Say I hook the BSP up to my microbrute, or an Ms20 mini.  Is it possible to use the gate/pitch/velocity out on one of the melodic samplers, and set up steps, like pick a pitch, a gate length, and (using the velocity cv) a filter voltage, and then 'play' those steps?  (Not in a pattern, with my fingers hitting pads.) 

I know the BSP has a 'keyboard' made out of the pads, but I'm not as interested in triggering different pitches as I am in being able to 'play' different 'notes' of other parameters, like filter, or overtone on the 0 Coast, or resonance amount, etc.  (Although I guess I could just run the pitch into something besides pitch?)

I'm really interested in basically being able to create a 'drum machine' that I can then play live where I have a synth hooked up to the BSP and instead of different sounds being triggered in different modules with different gate outs, that, let's say, I can use the 16 pads have four notes, with four different gate lengths and filter settings, so i can sort of play the BSP like a 'hand drum,' using the different gates and filter settings to vary the sounds in my (live) pattern.  Possible?  Is there another Arturia product that would do this better? (I'm aware that it sounds like I'm asking if there is such thing as a Drumbrute,' but I'm interesting in percussively playing my own keyboard-style synths, and am not that into 'classic drum machine' sounds...)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines