April 25, 2024, 11:22:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: real time recording with sequencer?  (Read 3233 times)

droolmaster0

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
real time recording with sequencer?
« on: March 30, 2017, 08:51:11 pm »
I'm thinking that this must be user error - either in operation or understanding. I did update the firmware last night to the latest version....

From my understanding, if you record while the sequencer is playing, it should record in real time. That to me means that the events should be recorded at the step where the sequencer is at when you play the note.

That however is not happening for me. What happens generally is that it just puts an additional step at the beginning of the sequence, meaning that if steps 1-3 are filled, it will then insert step 4 - but it does not get recorded at the place where the sequencer is at. This is not my understanding of real time recording...

Am I missing something here?

BobTheDog

Re: real time recording with sequencer?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 08:59:07 pm »
How are you going about real time recording?

Have you already set the sequence length?

droolmaster0

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 09:35:57 pm »
not sure what the sequence length would have to do with it. For instance, if I set 17 steps, and play a note while it's on about the 9th step, why would it get inserted in step 4? (hypothetical example, but that is what's happening).

BobTheDog

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 09:46:42 pm »
I asked about the sequence length to make sure that it was not set to a small number, say 4.

Here if I turn on the MB, press SEQ button, press Play button (purple playhead led moving now 1-16), press Record button and play the keys it records in real time using a 16 step length in preset A01.

I guess if yours is not working this way you should email Arturia or maybe re-install the firmware.

droolmaster0

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 10:27:14 pm »
I asked about the sequence length to make sure that it was not set to a small number, say 4.

Here if I turn on the MB, press SEQ button, press Play button (purple playhead led moving now 1-16), press Record button and play the keys it records in real time using a 16 step length in preset A01.

I guess if yours is not working this way you should email Arturia or maybe re-install the firmware.

interesting. that's great info. the computer application told me that the update was successful....maybe it wasn't. I'll have to look up when I get home how to verify the version on the synth. I can say that what is happening is exactly the same as before I did the update, so that is definitely something I need to check.

BobTheDog

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 12:40:05 am »
You need to check its version 1.1.0.73, maybe the app downloaded an older version.

You need to use the new midi control centre from here: https://www.arturia.com/products/matrixbrute/resources

Good luck and let me know how it goes...

SoundRider

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 02:12:57 am »
From my understanding, if you record while the sequencer is playing, it should record in real time. That to me means that the events should be recorded at the step where the sequencer is at when you play the note.

I think, your understanding is correct and it should work this way. I have tried it myself and it was okay. Did you consider that the sequencer is "hard-quantising". If you are a little late on note 4, it could be that note 4 is indeed stored in step 1 in a 4-step-sequence.

droolmaster0

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 02:29:08 am »
yeah - no. it was too dramatic to be that kind of error/misinterpretation. Just got home, and I'll see if I can figure this out now.

droolmaster0

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 02:48:02 am »
LOL - well, that should teach me to pay closer attention when I'm doing something like updating firmware. I looked at the version, and it hadn't updated. THIS time I watched what I was doing (or maybe had a bit less to drink first :) and it worked without a hitch.

And now, of course, real time recording is working as it should.

this forum is pretty encouraging - not too many synths where you can post a question and get answers within minutes seemingly every time.

bobthedog - I remember you. You were a user of the octopus sequencer as I recall? Or was that someone else? It's been a few years.

BobTheDog

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 07:59:59 am »
Great news you got it working.

Yep thats me, you have a good memory :)

SoundRider

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 10:06:48 am »
+ 1, great to hear that it was only this kind of "error".

r3x

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2017, 07:45:39 pm »
So.. just updated, and got this feature - is it me, or is it quite hard to get stuff down in time? I mean, with no count-in, or no metronome, how are you supposed to hit it when it begins etc?

DrAKS

• TD wannabe
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 06:28:54 pm »
I midi sync my TR 707 drum machine in and use the rim shot as a metronome,
c

Vic-tor

• Sound designer & Jedi
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 06:10:29 pm »
So.. just updated, and got this feature - is it me, or is it quite hard to get stuff down in time? I mean, with no count-in, or no metronome, how are you supposed to hit it when it begins etc?

Personally I usually start off with an empty sequence and enable all the 1/4 notes so that it plays a metronome thing on which I can play along !

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines