April 20, 2024, 12:48:23 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Matrixbrute, and syncing to ableton live - issues!  (Read 8461 times)

r3x

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Matrixbrute, and syncing to ableton live - issues!
« on: March 30, 2017, 07:30:31 pm »
Hey

So, first of all - i love my matrixbrute, it is by far the best synth ive ever owned!

Now, some issues.

I have tried to read the documentation, ive seen the videos, but;

I can get the matrixbrute to sync with my ableton live daw - i can record, i can playback but.. sometimes it just goes nuts.

For example;

If i have the MB to local off, and i record an arp in it, then i do a record on ableton and push down a few keys, making the arp run - it will record this. No problem.

If i then do a record automate over it, and turns some knobs, it will also do what i ask it to - but... everytime the "loop" resets in ableton, the parameter is screwed up.

For instance if i record movement of master cutoff, it records fine, but when loop starts again, ableton tells the mastercut off to go to -99 - which makes it very hard to use..

Secondly - ive experienced a few times that ive made a loop in the arp, i play with it, it sounds good - i record it etc.

Then suddenly, i can press midi sync on the MB, and it will sync nicely. The next thing, it just stops playing - i have to then select another patch, and go back again before it plays again. If i disable midisync, it comes back.

Im using USB only and have set midi+usb in options.

Lastly, can anyone tell me, maybe through a screenshot what the correct things to enable in ableton are; so far i have both in and out on track, sync and remote. But something tells me this causes issues.

?

--- also, i find that sometimes if i try to edit a knob, it seems its not working; if i pull the USB plug, i can edit just fine. .so again im guessing this has something to do with midi setup.. but im lost!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 07:33:42 pm by r3x »

BobTheDog

Re: Matrixbrute, and syncing to ableton live - issues!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 09:10:46 pm »
One thing to make sure is that you have not got a midi loop going on.

So in live if you have a track with the input set to the MB and the output set to the MB and you have the monitor on the track set to "In" or set to "Auto" with record on then when you use the keyboard or controls on the MB as well as controlling the MB they will also be sent back to the MB by Live. This can cause lots of weird things to happen with any synth.

In the Midi Control Centre app if you go to your MB device you will see something called "Local Control", if you set this to "Off" then the controls on the MB will not effect the MB only messages via midi will control it. So now the midi messages coming back to the MB from live will not cause problems. Remember to turn "Local Control" back on when you are not using the MB with a DAW/Sequencer.

If you want to clock the MB from live then set the sync on the output midi in Live and turn the sync on the midi input channel off. You can turn remote off as well.

r3x

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 02:05:51 pm »
Okay there is something SO wrong here..

now, - i did what you said, nothing changes.

Basically heres the deal; if i hit midi sync on the MB, it goes silent. I then have to change back a patch, then up to the patch i was using, and then it seems to work - until i record a sequence, and want to play it back = then it doesnt.

If i disable it, i can record, play it back etc fine, however - it wont loop.

So if i rec a sequence, and then hit say C - then it plays that sequence ALMOST to the end, and stops. Doesnt loop.

Furthermore, if i were to record that in ableton, it records everything, but everything seems to be a seminote, or more up from what i actually heard it playing.

This is frustrating =/

BobTheDog

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 02:20:14 pm »
Hi,

I just tried recording a sequence from the MB to live and it works fine here.

Live only sends clock when it is playing, if you have your MB midi synced to live and it is not playing then the MB will not play the sequence as it is not getting a clock.

Here is what I did.

1. Make sure clock is set in Live for the MB midi port
2. Loaded a patch with a sequence into MB.
3. Set midi track in live to record MB.
4. Enable record/play in Live. Play MB keyboard.
5. Now I have clip in live with the sequencer data.
6. Turn sequencer off for patch on the MB.
7. Play live clip back to MB.

Works fine here.

r3x

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 02:53:05 pm »
Okay so, its definately not working, so heres all my settings, in the hope that someone can help me out here =/

In my ableton midi settings i have:

Matrixbrute input: track on, sync and remote off
Matrixbrute output: track and sync on, remote off

In midi control center :

input midi : all
lower part midi : none
output midi : 1

midi clock source: usb
sync clock in/out, 1 step (clock)
midi param send : on
midi param receive : on
midi out select : usb
local control : off
program change receive : off

The rest i didnt touch.

IN ableton:

External instrument on a midi track:
on track: midi from matrixbrute, all channels

monitor in or auto (either does the same, tested both)

on the external instrument:

midi to : matrixbrute
ch 1

and then my audio channels.

Now heres what happens;

If i select midi sync on MB, it seems to work fine, i can play a patch.

If i then go to seq, and make a seq on the MB, it seems to record it fine - but any hit of play, or any keys wont trigger it - its dead.

If i hit record on a the track in ableton, it begins firing off the sequence from the MB, and records everything; this works perfect - but is kinda stupid, as i cant work that way ( cant program a seq, i cant hear while im doing it - only to have it fire off like a machine when recording - i want to be able to play notes with that sequence as intended )

If i then disable midi sync on the MB, and hit record on ableton and play a note, say c3 it seems to record it in ableton - bit out of sync, but its there.

Now, if i then re-record, with midi sync staying off, on the MB another sequence, and then i try to play that, it will now play the first note and nothing else.

So to sum up, with midi sync on = it works, but i can only hear it, when it records, and it does so without me touching the mb, it just fires it off

with midi sync off, im unable to program another sequence, as that will "ruin" it for some weird reason.

So yeah this is pretty fubar.. :(

BobTheDog

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 03:56:31 pm »
Maybe as you are having so much difficulty with clocking the MB from Live you should clock Live from the MB instead?

As I said before Live only sends clock when it is playing (or playing/recording).

Also maybe you should look at turning off "Sequencer/Arp sends notes" in the midi control centre if all you want to do is "Play" the sequence on the MB from Live rather than record the sequencer notes into live.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 04:00:06 pm by BobTheDog »

BobTheDog

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 06:03:54 pm »
Thanks for all the help Bob.

No problem.

r3x

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 07:15:45 pm »
... i did thank you, just in another thread - my confusion, my bad.

http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=90506.0

And yes, i can confirm its working now - all over. Ill do some more testing, but it seems to hold up.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines